Buck now or store dry till spring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brogan007

Burning Hunk
I'm kinda new to this. Are limbs/trees any more difficult to buck if they are stored for a few months....compared to slicing them up asap.
I seem to remember a chainsaw post talking about how dried out wood is harder to saw.

Some wood cuts harder when dry.
The firewood will start drying faster if cut & stacked.
Even better is cut, split & stacked (CSS), this time of year in your area is cooler to work in. :)

I buck up everything and split it all as soon as I get it. Then I stack it and cover the tops and forget about for a couple years :)

I buck my wood up as soon as I get it and stack it in the round until Spring. I don't like running the log splitter in the cold weather. I also don't like stacking on frozen ground. Invariably the frost topples some of my stacks of rounds.

I wouldn't want to try and move big limbs/stalks around myself. Cut now- no spiders, no bees, no sweating your arse off. Some woods split best when below freezing too. My overall take is firewood processing is a cold weather sport.

LLigetfa said:
I don't like running the log splitter in the cold weather.

Just curious... why not?

I also agree that now is the time to cut split and stack. Certainly not in warmer weather - unless you prefer it.

That being said, I don't think it will become too difficult to cut. It may depend on the species. Here's my reasoning. Most everything that I cut is dead fall, trees brought down by storms, or trees that were pushed over on a construction site and have been sitting for a year. Some have sat for more than a year before I get to them. They cut up just fine. Some green hardwoods like oak, locust, hickory, and maple can dull chains - so I wouldn't let this dictate whether you cut now or later. File sharpen your chain and roll with it.

If you have the time to cut and split it now - do so. If you are stock piling scrounges you want to CSS later - grab what you can and cut it later. When I am scrounging, I will gather and stock pile and leave the CSS for later - because you can't let a scrounge sit or it gets legs. Get all you can get when you can get it!

woodmiser said:
LLigetfa said:
I don't like running the log splitter in the cold weather.

Just curious... why not?
The oil is too thick. I don't like running splash lube engines with thick oil and I won't change the oil to a Winter grade. I put away the tractor and splitter for the Winter. It's easy to pull the chainsaw though.

I'm with LLigetfa when it comes to splitting. I stack it after cutting but wait until snow melt to split. Then it gets stacked right away onto unfrozen ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.