Buck Stove 261

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DBCabin

Feb 22, 2018
Colorado
Hello, I'm new to the forum but I have been shamelessly reading all ya'lls comments and advice on here for about 2+ years now sooooo THANKS! It has honestly been a huge help to me. Meaning- I have actually taken what I've read on here and applied to a problem and had experienced the stated outcome. Awesome. Glad this is here.

Anyway, I had a quick question that I couldn't seem to find a forum about- at least not much of one. I can't seem to find much of a review out there (anywhere) on the Buck 261. I already have a 74 and it burns like a son of B! Wet wood, dry wood, high pressure, low pressure, weird temps outside- whatever, it doesn't care. Couldn't be happier and it appears to be pretty much bomb proof quality construction. However, again I don't seem to hear too much about it's smaller counter-part the 261?

Anyway- just curious about a real wood burners review if it's out there. Come to think of it- I really don't see a whole lot Buck Stove reviews in general- at least in comparison to some of the bigger names... Is there something about Buck Stove I'm missing as a newbe? All opinions or experience on the topic are greatly appreciated! (Tall tales of fishing/ hunting are always excepted and enjoyed as well.)

The mention of the 261 pops up now and then when folks ask about a steel stove that rear vents. Typically this is for a fireplace installation. Unfortunately we haven't had many reports on it's performance. That could be a good thing. Oftentime people are here to solve problems so maybe the 261 just work and does it's job without fanfare or complaint.

We have had many people look at them for certain installs which fit its shape and as BG mentioned rear vent but as far as I know no one actually got one. I have yet to see one in real life so it is kind of a unicorn. I had tried to find one in the past just to be able to check it out but never found a good enough deal to make it worth it.

Buck makes good solid stoves, but has not really kept up with advancing wood burning technology.

We have had many people look at them for certain installs which fit its shape and as BG mentioned rear vent but as far as I know no one actually got one. I have yet to see one in real life so it is kind of a unicorn. I had tried to find one in the past just to be able to check it out but never found a good enough deal to make it worth it.

Buck makes good solid stoves, but has not really kept up with advancing wood burning technology.

A unicorn- hahaha. So true. Every time I’ve walked into a store they have either “just sold their last one” or “we have one in the warehouse” or they’ve “never seen it before.” Can’t seem to find a comprehensive review or even just put my hands on one directly. It’s the damn mystery stove! I might have to make a trip out to Buck HQ in NC just to prove to myself it’s real!

Could it be argued that not keeping up with advanced wood burning technology could be seen, to some degree, as a positive???

When I buy a new stove I want the latest and greatest in terms of efficiency and overall ease of use. Seems to me that Buck and several other stove makers in that area are not putting any money into R&D for the next generation of cleaner burning stoves, they are simply slapping a baffle on a stove and adding tubes to a once catalytic body and calling it a new model like the 94 NC.

I haven't seen anything new from them in a long time in terms of a cleaner burning stove like some of their competition has released.