Building a hearth around gas floor key

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rrk0304

Apr 25, 2017
Atlanta
I converted my wood burning fireplace about a year ago to gas. It had a fire starter underneath with the gas key to start it located on the floor of the current hearth. I want to raise up the hearth and create a ledge. The problem is that the key on the ground cannot be relocated to the wall due to the fact that I would have to tear up my basement ceiling to get to it. Is there a way to run a metal tube (or something) down to the floor from the top of the new ledge to be installed by securing it to the frame of the hearth or does anyone have any suggestions?

What kind of ceiling do you have .
To me a ceiling repair is the least of 2 evils
Just my wooden nickles worth

I converted my wood burning fireplace about a year ago to gas. It had a fire starter underneath with the gas key to start it located on the floor of the current hearth. I want to raise up the hearth and create a ledge. The problem is that the key on the ground cannot be relocated to the wall due to the fact that I would have to tear up my basement ceiling to get to it. Is there a way to run a metal tube (or something) down to the floor from the top of the new ledge to be installed by securing it to the frame of the hearth or does anyone have any suggestions?
How far we talking? It can be extended if it's not too tall. My key is 14" long.

As long as there's a hole above it extended keys are available; some places sell them that eliminate bending over, so they must be at least 30-36" long.