Bummer...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twitch

Jul 10, 2008
Vassalboro Maine
www.colby.edu
I bought a 10X20 cheap carport with sides to use as a woodshed this summer, been working well keeping the wood dry. We got about 6 inches of snow Wednesday afternoon, didn't have time to take the snow off the carport. Guess I should have made time. At least the wood is still covered.

Attachments

• 12-10-09_2018.jpg
    12-10-09_2018.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 637
  • 12-10-09_2019.jpg
    12-10-09_2019.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 645
  • 12-10-09_2020.jpg
    12-10-09_2020.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 634
Got a buddy in Durango CO. they got 29 in. of snow this week he has been shoveling roofs all week.

I Made Fire! said:
Oh man. With all that weight, what's your next move?

buy a new one.

index.php

Zounds! That one looks like Rosie O'Donnnell fixin to sit on a stack of Lincoln Logs!

Thanks for tha cautionary tale.

I've had that happen with bird netting over blueberries.
Amazing how heavy and what snow can do.
I take it down in Sept. now.

Fabric requires a lot of reinforcing for snow loads.
So does the support tubes.

We got some wind here and the neighbor's carport is in the woods.
Canvas, rods , ropes, the whole things is now - over - there.
Doesn't look very salvageable.

-and that DOES look like a big fat a$$.

There really isn't that much snow on it. It was fine in the morning, but I think the wind is what did it in. Probably going to clear the snow and build the frame out with 2X4's, and re-use the top and sides, as long as they aren't ripped.

Next summer I'm going to build a lean to off the back of the garage. Wanted to do it this past summer, but needed to re-roof the back of the house.

At least no firewood was harmed..lol

The round top shelters can take a snow load.

CrawfordCentury said:
index.php

Zounds! That one looks like Rosie O'Donnnell fixin to sit on a stack of Lincoln Logs!

Thanks for tha cautionary tale.

Oh for cryin out loud....... :lol: I gonna be laughin about that all night...... :p

EKLawton said:
I Made Fire! said:
Oh man. With all that weight, what's your next move?

buy a new one.

I think the thing about insanity definition might apply there.
"I just KNOW it'll work THIS time. :roll:
Geez, just break out the nail gun and some 2x's and get to work. Trusses HAVE to be engineered around here to handle the snow loading. I guess those guys didn't plan for sales to snow states?

Status
Not open for further replies.