Burn pot overfills

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hockeyfun1

Mar 12, 2014
Rochester, NY
I have a St Croix Ashby pellet insert. Freshly cleaned this season. When it runs, it runs fine, but I'm having a new issue of every time I turn it on (manual mode), it dumps a bunch of pellets into the burn pot and extinguishes any fire I started. I start the fire by putting in a small amount of pellets, some pellet gel, usually a piece of paper, and then starting it on fire.

It dumps enough pellets to fill the burn pot, so I figured, ok, I won't put any pellets in it, and then when I start it, I'll open the pellet stove once it's done spitting out pellets for no reason, and then do the fire gel and lighting it. It dumped even more then and put the fire out. So I opened it again and put more gel and restarted the fire. It took, and I kept it on setting 1 out of 5 and walked away. Came back 20 minutes later to no pellets in the burn pot at all and no fire to be seen. It burnt a whole burn pot full of them and didn't feed anymore.

Now normally I think it's supposed to stop feeding pellets for a little while once it's started, so it can find the proof of fire, and then start the fan up to blow the heat. Not sure though.

What is going on with this stove?

It dumps pellets initially to make sure igniter has a good chance of lighting and then the fire gets hot enough to satisfy the proof of fire snap disk. Guessing your igniter is bad thus the struggle with manually lighting it then smuthering out fire during pellet dump prior to ign cycle. Maybe try a propane torch or mapp gas to light fire, thats how i use the lancaster which takes 30 seconds, then close door, hit start and it runs from that point on.

What does the ignitor do? I don't think this stove is able to make a fire if there is no fire, meaning I have to start the fire manually.

Just happened again tonight. So then when it finally had a fire going, it didn't dump anymore pellets into the burn pot, and 30 minutes later I found the burn pot empty, no fire, and the stove off.

The igniter......ignites the pellets making them catch on fire and burn. Auto igniter stoves use electric heat thru the igniter to create fire once directed at the pellets.

If you have an owners manual read it. If not then goggle the stove specific manual to read it.

If you are opening the the door during the ignition cycle i think you should get a flashing #2 light indicating vacuum fault.

Playing around with auger feed button can also interrupt feeding cycles.

If fire doesn't get hot enough during start the proof of fire snap disk may not trip, so it stops feeding pellets.

Hopefully a new igniter and brushing up on operator manual as Bags suggested will remedy issues.

How long do ignighters normally last? What is the parts and labor breakdown for a replacement?

The stove was running good finally after 4 attempts and I had it on 5/5 heat setting. I woke up 3 hours later to a stove that was off with an empty burnpot. Why is this happening?