Burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheIndian

Jan 11, 2018
Long Island
Howdie,
I’m new to wood stoves. Have burned a couple times in a new F3CB...cool weekend nights. I’m able to get a nice fire going and I have even achieved the secondary burn I think...where the flames are slowly rolling over the logs. This of course happens when I reduce the air intake. But it doesn’t last that long.

1- Is there a temperature that the stove needs to get up to before one can achieve that secondary burn?

2 - How full can I load up the stove so that I can increase the burn time? Or does a full stove put me at risk for overfiring?

3- Is an F3CB even capable of an overnight burn or will I need to just feed it more often?

Thanks guys!

Howdie,
I’m new to wood stoves. Have burned a couple times in a new F3CB...cool weekend nights. I’m able to get a nice fire going and I have even achieved the secondary burn I think...where the flames are slowly rolling over the logs. This of course happens when I reduce the air intake. But it doesn’t last that long.

1- Is there a temperature that the stove needs to get up to before one can achieve that secondary burn?

2 - How full can I load up the stove so that I can increase the burn time? Or does a full stove put me at risk for overfiring?

3- Is an F3CB even capable of an overnight burn or will I need to just feed it more often?

Thanks guys!

**I am Assuming you are talking about a Jotul F3CB**
From the manual, link below, you wait until the stove surface tempurature reaches 400 to 600 degrees (F) then start adjusting the air for the desired temperature and burn time, which, I am sure will vary. Maintaining a fuel quality will help you get consistent results. They recommend 6 to 14 months drying time and a moisture range of 12 to 20%. The manufacture has a specific break in period with recommended temps.

https://jotul.com/us/products/wood-stoves/jotul-f-3-cb#technical-area

[ATTACH0]230369[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-07-07-12-06.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-07-07-12-06.png
    471.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:
Jotul, feed often, hungry stove

It's a small stove. There is only room for about 1 cu ft of wood in the firebox but the actual load is often less as one tries to prevent logs from rolling against the glass. We never got much more than about 30-45 minutes of secondary burn. After that the wood has mostly outgassed. Typical winter burn time was about 4hrs. and up to 6 hrs in mild weather.

Typically, a tube style stove needs to be around 500F stove top for the internals to be around the 1100F needed for a reburn. The F3 is a small stove and could see internal temps rise a little faster. (These are cold startup numbers)

Load the sucker up. Its small - There isn’t a huge load of BTU’s to begin with. That doesn’t mean you still don’t need to monitor the stove for proper temp adjustments. There should be no issues with keeping it within the proper operating temps as long as you are dillegent.

Overnight - well....probably not. Again, Its a small stove.