Burn Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Dolan

Burning Hunk
Apr 7, 2012
SW Ontario
This may seem like a stupid question but being a newbie I thought I could get away with it.
My question is what really is burn time?
Is when the logs ignite and then you are left with a bed of coals, or is it the time when the logs ignite until the fire goes out?
I have a new Jotul 400 and the manual says it has a burn time of up to 8 hours ( i assume that is optimal with wood, draft etc).
Also has anyone been able to get longer than 8 hours, if so how. 8 hours would be fine for me as is overnight.
Appreciate any thoughts,
Kevin

Typically stove makers measure from start time until there are no longer hot coals remaining to restart a fire. Instead of burn time, many here prefer to know the period of meaningful heat. That is say how long the stove stays at or above a certain temperature.

I had the Castine. Burning softwood, I was lucky to get an 8 hr burn time. For that reason, they were fairly rare. Burning dry hardwood like oak it should be possible to have good coals for a restart in a well packed stove after 8 hrs. As for period of meaningful heat, with softwood I had to restoke the stove about every 2-3 hrs in below 25F weather. That is not the stove's fault, the firebox was just too small for our house. Solution was to get a stove twice the size.

"Burn Time" is one of those terms that's tossed around without a generally accepted specific definition. Different folks quite often mean different things when they use the term. Bottom line for any stove owner/burner, IMO, is to learn by doing. Nobody else has exactly the same stove, in exactly the same system configuration, burning exactly the same fuel, with exactly the same location/climate conditions, sharing exactly the same requirements/epectations as you have. You'll figure it out.

'Burn time' is another marketing term, like 'xx,xxx BTUs' and 'heats x,xxx sq ft'. I like Hearthstone's 'Heat Life' too.

I've managed to find enough coals to light some very dry ash and soft maple splits, after 48 hours. Would I call it a 48 hour burn? Not really, because I didn't really need any heat for the last 36 hours. I turned it all the way down, and that's how long it lasted. The stove was just warm to the touch for the last twelve. I probably opened a window at some point, too. I add wood when I need to, to stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.