Burn Times: Lopi Liberty -vs- Quadrafire 5700 Step Top -vs- Regency Pro Series F3500/F5200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hoytman

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2020
Ohio
What are your real world long burn times with your Lopi Liberty?

Old style Liberty or newest style Liberty?

Seems the big stoves of the other brands mentioned have longer burn times and likely lower burn rates -OR- lower turn down rates.

Obviously, the Regency stoves have air tubes and a catalyst which sets them apart for an apples to oranges stove comparison.

The Liberty and 5700 are more similar, more apples to apples comparison, but it seems the Quad has a larger firebox and as such slightly higher burn times.

Just wanting to know some real world burn times of your Liberty.

Listed burn times are often just marketing, like maximum heat output or exaggerated sq ftg heating claim. The burn time is going to vary with how hard the stove is pushed for heat. Most 3 cu ft stoves with good fuel and proper draft will provide about ±12 hrs burn time. However, in very cold weather, if the house is losing more heat, the stove may need to be pushed for higher output. In that case, the burn time may drop down to 8 hrs, or less.

I understand that.

I was asking in regard to specifically what sort of maximum burn times people are able to achieve with their Liberty on low burn with a full load.

Seems to me that the more burn tubes a stove has would increase the burn times because of being able to burn more of the smoke. I’d have to look but I believe my Liberty has 4 burn tubes in it. I have not yet used this stove and no near future plans, but will use it later on. I believe the new Liberty has 5 tubes in it.
The new Liberty has an emission rate of 2.5 and my model Liberty is 2.6.

It seems that as they added more and more tubes the stoves burned cleaner and cleaner and perhaps this has mad burn times longer. At least that’s how it seems to me.

At least one stove model (U.S. Stove Co., I believe) model has 6 tubes in it. Other brands have stuck with 3-4 tubes and added a Catalyst as well. Some of these stoves with both tubes and Catalysts have the same burn times as before they added the catalyst to a particular model yet and they now burn cleaner but burn time wasn’t increased significantly or at all. Still others have gotten longer burn times by adding a catalyst with their tubes.

So it seems that the 4300/5700 Step Top Quads are most on par with the Liberty as far as number of air tubes and being of similar design.

Wasn’t sure if Quads marketing numbers were inflated or if Lopi’s were under inflated.

I realize the Regency’s use a catalyst and that will add some burn time. Different animals. I wonder if their burn timed are over inflated?

I’ve heard that Woodstock stoves numbers are under rated and this would mean that burn times are more than the rating. Any idea if this is true?

It would be nice to see some numbers from Liberty users.

At any rate, my Liberty is too big for my house, I’m really glad I bought it used for little money. I have another use for it down the road.

I’m going to start looking into a couple smaller stoves from the Regency and Pacific Energy brands for my current house. I wonder how close their real numbers are to their marketing numbers?

Last edited:
Lots of factors affect burn time so it's hard to attach a specific number to the maximum, but sealcove was getting 12-14 hrs with less than full loads.

Yes, lots of factors.

Sealcove?

EDIT:
Disregard. I see his post after looking at your link provided. Thanks!