burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joop

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2018
beauharnois ,quebec
the big guys. 3 to 4.5cuft heaters ,how long are burn times from fire to relighting i got 10 and a half hrs, mix of hardwoods.bholler got me thinking when i said a few hrs.could have fudged burn time a little longer but trying to be realistic .i know most people who get larger stoves usually have older badly insulated homes so its hard to judge burn times ,just wondering .

Last edited:
I have a 3.3 cf stove and can go 10-12 hours between reloads for an overnight load. Usable heat and outdoor temps is another conversation. I can load at 6 or 7pm and have more than enough coals to relight 6-7am. That's too long between reloads in cold weather for me though.

thats what i find .i can say honestly 14 or 15hrs if my house was insulated lol .always have coals to relight.a whole day and still have small embers to light sometimes

thats what i find .i can say honestly 14 or 15hrs if my house was insulated lol .always have coals to relight.a whole day and still have small embers to light sometimes
If we are just talking coals to relight from I can go days then dig some coals up. But I can get 24 hours of heat in very mild weather. 8 hours when it gets cold in a princess

Solid 7 hours in my osburn 3300,I burn 90% jackpine ,if I load with half birch and pine,10 hrs

The center of my stovetop is nearly twice as hot as its right rear corner. Here is the 1st portion of the ramp up curve starting from zero ashes. Reference readings are from the very right rear corner. Un-insulated basement, bare cement walls.

cold start temps.jpg Maple Firewood loading.jpg

My furnace's firebox is about that size. Can run for 10 hours if it is not bitterly cold out. 20F or below the draft is so strong and heat load is so high that we'll be lucky to get 6 hrs filled to the gills. This is 3000sqft heated with high ceilings.

• Haha
Reactions: kcmclellan
With average stove top temp around 400f I'd guess a solid 12 hours when packed full. I have the stoves thermal fan switch on the very back corner and it typically still running after 20 hours with the stove top around 250-300 in the center.

Reactions: joop
Done is an ambiguous term. It really depends on the outdoor conditions. For this particular load, it was reloaded with around a 250º stove top. The little thermal fan was still spinning merrily. With the cold spell coming up, I might reload it with a 300 or 350º stove top after 10 or 8 hrs..

Reactions: stoveliker
the big guys. 3 to 4.5cuft heaters ,how long are burn times from fire to relighting i got 10 and a half hrs, mix of hardwoods.bholler got me thinking when i said a few hrs.could have fudged burn time a little longer but trying to be realistic .i know most people who get larger stoves usually have older badly insulated homes so its hard to judge burn times ,just wondering .
Twelve hours easily in the BK, usable heat, no need with our schedule to go for longer, but we've gone 24 hours a time or two.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Based on the norm here. I would assume he doesnt check, but its prob 3-5 years split. So figure sub 17%.

Reactions: Itslay90
I've been getting consistent 12 hour burns with a 2.7 cf firebox - but our temps have only been getting down the high 20s.

This looks amazing, how dry was your wood in this picture?
Yes, about 17%. It's 7-8 month seasoned doug fir. It dries quickly in our low-humidity summers.

I just went out and resplit 3 thick splits to see where we are at. The splits are reading between 22.3% and 28.1% moisture currently. This wood was delivered green in early April.