Burned again by the pine myth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any wood is fine, including cedar, with the exception of sumac.

Saw this on a local Kijiji ad:
Wanted: WANTED FIREWOOD

I will take firewood from anyone delivered or picked up FREE
I use it to heat my house,I will split it
Just drop it off on my property

Date Listed 27-Aug-12
Address Bradford, ON L3Z 2G2, Canada
View map

I will take firewood from anyone delivered or picked up FREE
I use it to heat my house,I will split it
Just drop it off on my property
No pine please (my italics & bold)
Thank you

I have a few cords of white pine because there were pine trees where I was putting my driveway early last spring (2011). My original plan was to push them into the woods to rot, but first I decided to cut and split a little bit just to try it. I've burned wood all my life, and had never burned it before (besides in a campfire). Well, even though it can be a total PITA to split, it's turned out to be fantastic for quick hot fires in the summer to heat my hot water, and gets my boiler up to temp way faster than the driest of my oak (which is very dry, by the way). Once up to temp, in goes the oak for a nice long fire when needed. Needless to say, I now have completely changed my attitude regarding the much maligned pine. Once these stacks of pine are running low, I'll probably even go out of my way to get more!

Reactions: Realstone
I have never burned it inside but have about 1/2 a cord from dead standing trees I took out a from this ago. It's currently piled by my outdoor fire pit but I am tempted to bring it inside to burn. Gona have to get a mm and test how dry it is

Status
Not open for further replies.