Burning a Giant Sequoia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the strangeness of the west coast travels from California on up.....

Interesting about the Sequoia's, but the work environment is flat out strange. Nice place to visit - but I don't think I could live out there on the left coast.

basswidow said:
I guess the strangeness of the west coast travels from California on up.....

Interesting about the Sequoia's, but the work environment is flat out strange. Nice place to visit - but I don't think I could live out there on the left coast.

Not quite. Oregon has its own unique strangeness.

basswidow said:
Nice place to visit - but I don't think I could live out there on the left coast.

Yeah Oregon is strange. But on behalf of everyone living in the west, we appreciate you staying where you are. I used to live in Idaho (60% public lands) and I would wander around the mountains and forests and think, "boy it sure is nice for all that population on the east coast to pay their taxes and buy me such a wonderful backyard to play in."

As an update. I fired up the sequoia last night. Burns hot and fast. But once the blaze dies down it has big coals. I think the coal bed is mostly because I am burning such small pieces that they go all at once. If it were a split, I think it would be very much like fir. I kind of expected more popping and cracking like cedar, but it was pretty quiet. I think there is about 2 cords there. I am going to use some of the branches to make a box type rack for about a cord worth. Then put the pieces in there. the box will be nice looking and I will use this wood while I am able to tend the fire more. I will put something bigger and harder on for the long burns. I think two cords of this stuff is going to go pretty fast.

Oh, It smells really nice too. Woody, clean, fresh. But not heavy fresh like pine, and not purfumish like cedar. Just pleasant.

t

You know I'm only kidding about the left coast.

I spent some time in Wyoming and I agree with your sentiments to keep things the way they are - without large populations moving into these natural areas.

That's good news on the burn. Sounds like you have a nice source of firewood.

Oregon sucks. Really. I hate it here. I wish I could move back east. It rains all the time and there's no jobs. Oregon sucks. Really.

NP

Nonprophet said:
Oregon sucks. Really. I hate it here. I wish I could move back east. It rains all the time and there's no jobs. Oregon sucks. Really.

NP

Perfect. Keep telling them that! They are right you know. Oregon sucks. What ever you do, don't come here. The weather and job market are far better in Michigan. You can move there if you like.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.