burning fresh holly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudhop

Oct 18, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi

New wood stove at last!! I'm trying to find out if it is OK to burn newly cut Holly in the stove, I cannot find a definitive answer ...
I have a small 5 kW stove with 6" liner.

Welcome.

Well seasoned holly burns great but this will take at least a full year since it has been split and stacked. Green holly will burn like poop.

You are going to have a hard time getting any freshly cut wood to burn well. The better seasoned the wood is, the more heat and better the burn. Of all the species ash will probably season the fastest.

You will have a tough time burning anything that is freshly cut, especially in a new EPA stove. Not efficient and will cause bad creosote buildup and eventually a chimney fire

I think the consensus is that you should try to avoid burning anything that isn't properly seasoned or kiln dried in a wood stove. Freshly cut wood is usually too green/wet and will result in a dirty, inefficient burn.

OK...many thanks...that clears that up. I did wonder if it was possible to burn fresh holly with it being evergreen but I'll pass on that one...I guess any new cut wood should not be burned until seasend ...

Holly may keep its leaves, but it is a hardwood. It's also a beautiful wood for inlays, having one of the whitest, clean grains. The first boat I worked on had teak and holly soles (floors).

Status
Not open for further replies.