burning green oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As others have mentioned it will burn... sort of. Burning green wood has no advantages and several disadvantages:

1. Your hard work in cutting, splitting and stacking is wasted since you are getting less heat per volume of wood. This in turn results in faster wood use for less heat further limiting your ability to use something other than green wood since you are always behind.
2. The amount of heat from the fire is significantly less if the wood is green so you will struggle to adjust the stove to get a meaningful amount of heat.
3. The chimney will clog up much sooner with creosote further reducing your ability to get much heat from the wood.
4. The clogged up chimney then presents its own safety issues.
5. The fire will be a hassle to start and you will spend a lot more time trying to get it going each time it goes out.
6. Its extremely frustrating when you are trying to warm up a cold house and even though the fire is "roaring" the stovetop is barely at 300F (energy being wasted to dry the wood while it burns). With dry would it would be at 600F and the secondaries would be at full throttle.

I'm a first year wood stove user and learned the hard way right out of the gate how lame it was to try using green wood. Now when I grab a piece from the pile and it feels heavy for its size I throw it into the reject pile (next season) instead of the stove.

Reactions: firefighterjake
As others have mentioned it will burn... sort of. Burning green wood has no advantages and several disadvantages:

1. Your hard work in cutting, splitting and stacking is wasted since you are getting less heat per volume of wood. This in turn results in faster wood use for less heat further limiting your ability to use something other than green wood since you are always behind.
2. The amount of heat from the fire is significantly less if the wood is green so you will struggle to adjust the stove to get a meaningful amount of heat.
3. The chimney will clog up much sooner with creosote further reducing your ability to get much heat from the wood.
5. The fire will be a hassle to start and you will spend a lot more time trying to get it going each time it goes out.
6. Its extremely frustrating when you are trying to warm up a cold house and even though the fire is "roaring" the stovetop is barely at 300F (energy being wasted to dry the wood while it burns). With dry would it would be at 600F and the secondaries would be at full throttle.

I'm a first year wood stove user and learned the hard way right out of the gate how lame it was to try using green wood. Now when I grab a piece from the pile and it feels heavy for its size I throw it into the reject pile (next season) instead of the stove.

Can't be said enough.

All true.

But also only about "self" issues.

Burning green also has air quality issues that affects others. Many of my neighbors buy wood in the fall and burn green all winter. It really reduces our air quality. So item No. 7:

7. Consider how burning green wood may affect the local air quality for yourself and others around you. AKA: Don't be a public jerk. Season your wood. Don't burn green.

Side note: Sadly, talking to the neighbors is a waste of time. "They have lived here longer". "This is how is has always been done". "Everybody does it here this way". Etc. Etc. Etc.

Reactions: Zack R