Burning nylon handles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berone

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
Peekskill, NY
Last year I bought about 6 cords of kiln dried, slightly moldy wood. It's the stuff that you get at Home Depot wrapped in mesh with a nylon handle stapled to one of the logs. Last year I removed the handles from the logs before burning, but it was a real pain to do. As I started burning this year I inadvertently left one of the handles on when I put it in. I didn't notice it until the logs had caught so I decided to see what happened. Well, nothing that I could see. So I burned the nylon handle and a couple of metal staples. Is there a reason not to do this? If I don't have to pry staples out of the logs again this year it would make me happier.

Thanks,

I would remove them but doubt that one or two would harm anything.

Not many replies on this so I will give my opinion. Go for it, can't see the harm of a few a day. I'm sure you know this, but be careful with all that kiln dried wood. Now for my curiosity how much did you pay for that wood?

Berone said:
Last year I bought about 6 cords of kiln dried, slightly moldy wood. It's the stuff that you get at Home Depot wrapped in mesh with a nylon handle stapled to one of the logs. Last year I removed the handles from the logs before burning, but it was a real pain to do. As I started burning this year I inadvertently left one of the handles on when I put it in. I didn't notice it until the logs had caught so I decided to see what happened. Well, nothing that I could see. So I burned the nylon handle and a couple of metal staples. Is there a reason not to do this? If I don't have to pry staples out of the logs again this year it would make me happier.

Thanks,

I bought about 2 dozen of those bundles last year when I was working out the Kinks on the Intrepid. I cut the handles offs with a knife. It was a pretty quick process, though 6 cords is different.

And, like the other poster asked, I'm interested also. How much did you pay for 6 cords of those bundles. The cheapest I've seen them has been $3.99 a bundle and each bundle is .75 cubic feet. That's 680.96 a cord, plus tax.

If pulling the staple is hard I'd just cut the plastic off as BrowningBAR & remember my ash has staples in it when disposing

This was a deal on ebay last year of wood that had been dried and then stored while warm in a container outside. It got wet from the condensation and molded, so they couldn't sell it at full price. They had a few trailers worth that they were unloading. I bought 12 pallets for $1300, delivered. 2 pallets are a bit shy of a true definition of a cord, but about what is usually sold as a cord. I paid another $300 in labor to get a few guys to unbundle it and stack it. So it ended up costing me about $250 per cord. Since I was unable to buy truly seasoned wood it made it possible for me to use the insert last year, so worth every penny. The green wood I was buying was around $180-$200 per cord, so it was a good deal for what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.