Burning Pallet Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

byQ

Minister of Fire
May 12, 2013
Idaho
I obtained about 2 free cords of pallet wood. I've never dealt with it before. Have you burned it? When you burn it, what about the nails? Best to use a chainsaw or a chop saw to shorten the wood? Thanks.

I only cut the centers out to avoid burning any nails or staples and I only use it for starting fires.

Circular saw is my preferred method. Cheap framing blade won't break the bank if (when) you hit metal. If you're using it for heat and not just fire starting, be careful. That wood is DRY most of the time and will make a very hot (albeit short) fire with all that surface area.

Reactions: Tar12
The pallet company had the pallets all broke down and the wood piled onto a good pallet. The nails have mostly been ground off so it looks like I'm stuck with parts of nails inside the wood. I'm looking at the wood and much of it appears to be cherry and oak - which is good. But some of the wood feels green/moist.

Ya a circular saw would work but I think I'll build a 'X-X' cradle and chainsaw 50 pieces at one time. I'm definitely going to hit nails so I'll use all of my 'bad' chains. I guess you burn the wood and collect the ash knowing it will be full of nails.

I use pallet wood for kindling and sometimes the oak runners on longer skids (4x4). The oak 4x4's I'll cut with a chop saw 16 to 18 inches. They burn hot and get my stove roaring.

I burned about 0.5 cord (by weight) of pallet wood this fall in conjunction with some very small rounds (like 3" and under). I just cut them up with a chainsaw in a manner to avoid cutting the nails. I then just burned them, nails and all. Once the burn is done, I just raked the nails/staples/screws through the grate into my ash pan. No big deal. No need to be afraid of burning the nails.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I burned a fair amount of pallets in Year One of burning. I used a chainsaw and was very careful to avoid the nails.

I didn't have a cat stove so I just burned the nails along with the wood . . . but all ashes were dumped out in the woods in a pile vs. going on my driveway where I mostly dump my ashes . . . for obvious reasons.