Burning pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Scotty, I'll try to come up with something better.

Nails dont seem to hurt the stove, stove is made of steel so why would steel inside the firebox make any diff. IMO Just sayin.

I don't think the nails are bad for a baffle stove, but I think they are bad for the CC in a cat stove. Not sure why, though.

Our work is trying to go zero waste and we receive quite a few 1/2 and 1/4 pallets in at work. So, to save them from going in the compactor and being charged for waste, they wind up coming home with me. A minute on the bandsaw and I have some good kindling and a couple firewood lengths.

Reactions: Realstone
Nails dont seem to hurt the stove, stove is made of steel so why would steel inside the firebox make any diff. IMO Just sayin.

I don't think the nails are bad for a baffle stove, but I think they are bad for the CC in a cat stove. Not sure why, though.

The heavy metals (zinc, etc.) used to plate the nails can poison your catalytic converter. Short of that, I can't think of any reason not to burn wood with nails. If I had a non-cat stove, I'd be doing it. Heck... I do it in my cat stove!

Reactions: ScotO
When I change mine the guys holler at me.

Well maybe if you did the same pose . . . and wore a different vest according to the season . . . Bright orange during the Fall hunting season, pink for October Breast Cancer Awareness, Red and Green for Christmas, etc.

Usully pallets are only heated up to a certain temp to kill insects. Even pine is not treated domestically unless the consumer speced it for some strange reason. But the pallet makers i deal with DO NOT treat any wood type. After all most are only used one time there would be no benefit to treatement.

Well maybe if you did the same pose . . . and wore a different vest according to the season . . . Bright orange during the Fall hunting season, pink for October Breast Cancer Awareness, Red and Green for Christmas, etc.

But Jake! That is a Woodstock vest! I'd hate to change...

Status
Not open for further replies.