Burning pine.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would think white pine would just be worse if not seasoned based on how sticky the sap is and how well it burns but maybe it doesn’t make a difference.
I've read that pitch is actually an accelerant and burns readily. It's the high moisture content of pine that's a problem, not the sap.

So I've read . . . :)

Reactions: SpaceBus
My buddy up north has been burning mostly hemlock for several years now. They heat exclusively with wood from their property. It does the job.

I've read that pitch is actually an accelerant and burns readily. It's the high moisture content of pine that's a problem, not the sap.

So I've read . . . :)
Yes it burns by itself. I was slicing up a pine tree with my chainsaw and chasing away the ants with a blow torch and accidentally hit a glob of the pitch with the torch. It burned very well and for a long time.
I’ve also heard if you burn the inner most core of a pine tree it burns well, I believe they call it fat wood. I’ve it’s how you can light a fire outside if it’s raining out.