burning spruce

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
As a result of some storm damage, I have about a cord or a little more of spruce. I figure I can burn it, but I have typically burned conventional (oak, ask, beech, maple) hardwoods. Any tips, differences, cautions regarding handling or using it? Anything from how to split and rack to burning.

Thanks.
Steve

Not bad to mix in and burn during shoulder months or to get the fire going quickly. Just season it like anything else - and it splits relatively easy if it is a decent size.

You might split several chunks a bit larger than normal. I do that with doug fir and it helps give longer burn times.

That's one area where I'm torn - is it better to have a large chunk of pine in the stove, or a few small ones and a large chunk of something else?

Steve

Mix em if you've got em. For us, one good sized doug fir tree can be a season's worth of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.