Burning Spruce

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj54

Dec 21, 2007
Central CT
Hey guys, I have a large Spruce tree in my yard that's too close to the house, and am probably going to have it taken down. I know it's near the bottom in heat output, (I Think)....but I hate to waste it....anybody here have any experience burning spruce...

Using an older Dutchwest 2183 from around 1991.

Thanks for the info.

if its wood, burn it. Make sure its seasoned. It will burn hot and fast, so dont use it for an overnight burn. I use alot of pine and other soft woods for getting it going in the morning. Its good for getting it up to temp fast.

jj54 said:
Hey guys, I have a large Spruce tree in my yard that's too close to the house, and am probably going to have it taken down. I know it's near the bottom in heat output, (I Think)....but I hate to waste it....anybody here have any experience burning spruce...

Thanks for the info.

I've been burning some standing dead spruce and fir this year . . . like most other softwoods, it will burn fast and hot providing it has been seasoned. Good for early season burning or to get the woodstove up and running in short order. The one thing I've learned in the short time I've been a member here is that wood is wood and all wood burns if seasoned.

firefighterjake said:
jj54 said:

Thanks for the info.

I've been burning some standing dead spruce and fir this year . . . like most other softwoods, it will burn fast and hot providing it has been seasoned. Good for early season burning or to get the woodstove up and running in short order. The one thing I've learned in the short time I've been a member here is that wood is wood and all wood burns if seasoned.

ha, beat you to it! :p

I burn a LOT of spruce and I love it. I have an uncle who builds guitars and sells tone wood for a living- he cuts dozens of spruce logs every year and I get all of the scraps and offcuts, which there is a lot of. I burn primarily spruce in the late fall and early spring for quick, hot fires. In the winter I use spruce as kindling and to get the fire going again in the morning. It splits beautifully so you can get really small pieces for kinding. I don't know what I'd do without my supply of spruce! It also dries pretty quick, BTW.

Josh

right now my morning ritual is laying down 2 thin spruce N-S, then 3-4 small pine kindlind pieces E-W across them. Gets me a nice hot fire to help warm up the house. After 20 min or so, I throw some hard wood on to last till my wife can get down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.