Burning wheat in Harman P47 / PF105

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mudguard

Jul 2, 2014
Australia
Hi all
Anyone have experience with burning wheat in one of these Multi fuel heaters.
If so any modifications required?
I have tried in mine but the wheat lays thick and seems to prevent air flow thru the grate and therefore not burning well.
Any tips, photos, mods
Steve

We used to have a forum member, chickenman, from australia (he was banned for improper comments). He was buying stoves from china (Nero) and setting them up to burn wheat or olive pits. May want to try to contact him for advice ... http://www.cheapheat.com.au/ Ballarat, Victoria location.

Is there a wheat setting on the stove? Different burn pot grate may be needed with adjustments to air or auger speed... tidbits gleaned from old posts but couldn't seem to nail down a thread just on wheat. Only went back 6 pages or so quickly but you may find something more with a better search.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the reply.
I have searched Hearth forums quite a bit previously, I was hoping to find someone with some more info. I have seen some videos on YouTube that are from the fellow in Ballarat with the Nero units. He mixes 50/50 pellets and wheat. Also be over bends the fan blades to push the air thru, which helps stir the wheat in the pot. The Nero has a small crucible, whereas the Harman has a perforated grate where the ash / waste is pushed aside.
I have used olive pits and they are fantastic, it I don't have a good supply unfortunately.
I have been trialling wood chip, which are a fraction of the price where I live , and results are encouraging to me
Cheers
Steve

Interested in pictures of your trials if you are willing to share... Sizing on wood chips? Wood variety? Moisture content? Pics of burn.

How's your winter going so far?

The Harman PC45 uses a different burn tray as well as a reflector over the tray to raise the temperature to help burn corn as corn has a higher ignition temp. Wheat here is almost 50% more than corn. Closest I came to burning wheat is when local feed mill was pelleting wheat screenings with weed seeds primarily for feed for pheasants. Burned ok but very high ash.

Reactions: Lake Girl