1. mudguard

mudguard
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Australia
    Hi all
    Anyone have experience with burning wheat in one of these Multi fuel heaters.
    If so any modifications required?
    I have tried in mine but the wheat lays thick and seems to prevent air flow thru the grate and therefore not burning well.
    Any tips, photos, mods
    Steve

2. jzm2cc

jzm2cc
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Have you tried blending in pellets or corn to allow better air flow around wheat?

3. mudguard

mudguard
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Australia
    Haven't tried corn, not easy to source where I live, have tried mix of pellets but the wheat seems to go to the bottom and come out togehter?

4. Lake Girl

Lake Girl
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    We used to have a forum member, chickenman, from australia (he was banned for improper comments). He was buying stoves from china (Nero) and setting them up to burn wheat or olive pits. May want to try to contact him for advice ... http://www.cheapheat.com.au/ Ballarat, Victoria location.

Is there a wheat setting on the stove? Different burn pot grate may be needed with adjustments to air or auger speed... tidbits gleaned from old posts but couldn't seem to nail down a thread just on wheat. Only went back 6 pages or so quickly but you may find something more with a better search.

Keep us posted!

5. mudguard

mudguard
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Australia
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have searched Hearth forums quite a bit previously, I was hoping to find someone with some more info. I have seen some videos on YouTube that are from the fellow in Ballarat with the Nero units. He mixes 50/50 pellets and wheat. Also be over bends the fan blades to push the air thru, which helps stir the wheat in the pot. The Nero has a small crucible, whereas the Harman has a perforated grate where the ash / waste is pushed aside.
    I have used olive pits and they are fantastic, it I don't have a good supply unfortunately.
    I have been trialling wood chip, which are a fraction of the price where I live , and results are encouraging to me
    Cheers
    Steve

6. Lake Girl

Lake Girl
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Interested in pictures of your trials if you are willing to share... Sizing on wood chips? Wood variety? Moisture content? Pics of burn.

How's your winter going so far?