burning wood in a vc vigilant coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fgb5

Dec 8, 2008
Vermont
Hello, I currently have a vigilant coal stove that I burn coal in during the cold months but would like to burn wood during the early fall and spring at night. I have been doing this the last few nights, but the stove seems to run away from me. I only put two logs in and I cannot seem to control the temp with the air control. With the damper shut and the air control pretty much closed I am hitting stove temps of 700 degrees. The pipe is staying around 250-300 since the damper is shut. Is this normal? Is there something that I should be doing different? Thanks for any help you can give. RR

700 degrees on the griddle is not too bad. You can probably do better by letting a lot of ash build up below the fire because that is where the air comes in from on a coal stove....so limiting it should help.
You can also choose wood which is a bit larger and not quite as dry...to mix in.

thanks, I thought that 700 on the griddle seemed high. What would you say is a normal to high temp range? RR

Status
Not open for further replies.