Burning wood with some wood stain drips on it...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

camhead

Jan 17, 2018
Fayetteville, WV
The title says it all. I store my wood pile under my back deck, which I just refinished with an oil-based stain. Halfway through the project I realized that some of the stain was dripping through the cracks, and onto the wood pile. Is it going to be a big deal if I still burn this wood in my stove this winter? Thanks in advance!

IMHO Highly unlikely that you will have any issues. The only real question would be on catalytic stove as there is a remote possibility that it could impact catalyst life. Its likely that the core of pile didn't get soaked so if you feel real guilty you could set the worst ones aside and only use them when you have good fire going. Its pretty surprising how well "contaminants" burn when they are thrown in good hot firebox. The "oil base" of oil based stain will burn quick, the pigments are another story and expect they just turn to ash.

My friend years ago had a beast of stove (Fisher clone) he would joke when he had a good bed of coals and was running it wide open that "he could burn used baby diapers in it" ;) (he didn't)

As peakbagger says, it will only be the top row and if there are any big spots you can chisel them off.

You're fine, that little bit of stain won't hurt a thing. Probably water based as well.

As peakbagger says, it will only be the top row and if there are any big spots you can chisel them off.
Yeah, if you see anything bad, trim it off with a hatchet. Best to avoid putting it into the atmosphere by burning it.