Buying a used pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

goosecharger

Nov 3, 2018
Colorado
Hi all,

My wife and I just purchased a house and it runs off of an electric furnace and we are wanting to install a freestanding pellet stove. We live in rural Colorado at about 8300 ft. and our house is around 1150 sq. ft.

I may just be experiencing some sticker shock but a spa and stove store in our area had only a few (Loli I think was the brand?) pellet stoves to choose from and they all started around $3k for the stove plus another $600 for the install. I'm somewhat handy but would really prefer to have a professional install the stove for us.

I found two stoves in my general area that are used and for sale that I am considering now to save some money. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the two I am considering.

1). The first one is a Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 - it is $1300 and comes with 6ft of 4.5" pipe. The seller says it's worked flawlessly for the past two years. It is about a 1.5-2 hour drive from me.

2). The second one is a Quadrafire 1000 that is $1000. It has a new control box, igniter, thermocouple and fans. It also comes with venting pipe, thermostat and hearth pad. It is about 3 hours away.

If you're still reading this - thanks! I was wondering if it's worth it to spend the big money for a brand new stove or save a couple thousand dollars and get one of these used stoves and pay someone to install it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.

-Nelson

Best thing to do is read the specs on those stoves.... then price the major parts like control board and blowers. Then decide if it's worth the risk if something goes wrong... I have a used stove and quite old and works great...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have had a classic bay1200 since 2004 and is still working great, im heating a 1400 sq ft home with vaulted ceilings. And that is a great price for a cb1200 if its not all rusted up.

When I decided to put a pellet stove in an enclose porch, to make it usable in the winter, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a new stove, the prices were too high.

I jumped into pellet stoves with both feet and my eyes closed, I found an ad on Craigslist for 2 Whitfield Advantage stoves for $100. The address was about a half an hour from my house, so I loaded the dog in the pickup truck went to see them. What I got for my hundred bucks was the two stoves and a big box of spare parts. I got both stoves working and put one on the porch and the other in the garage. That was seven years ago, the stoves have been very reliable, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Reactions: wooduser
If you look at any Breckwell big-e/p1000. Check the wall inside the stove if they have been run hard on high settings that wall will warp on each side of the drop tube, and around the clean out doors. And that creates air leaks. So be sure before you pay.