Buying another saw: Husky 365 or 562xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoobTube

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2013
Seymour, CT
I currently have an Echo CS-400 running a 18" bar, no mods. Its 3 years old, so I'm not going to touch anything until its out of warranty. Its a good saw, however lately i've been seeing wood that I can cut that is just too much for this saw. Also, my opinion is running the 18" it bogs a lot. I don't think its enough to run the 18 efficiently.

I'm thinking about making it my limb saw/backup saw (might eventually get a 16" bar for it when I decide to hot-rod it)

I was looking into Stihl's but damn they are freaking expensive. Started looking at the Husqvarna 365 and the 562XP.

I understand that the 365 can be converted into a 372xp by just grinding the baffles off the covers and I think grinding off the limiters (if I ever wanted to do so.) Its slightly less than the XP.

The 562xp seems to get a lot of love from those who have owned them (some hate regarding Auto-tune from those who don't own them)

I figure the 365 is future-proof (or at least up-size proof) and can run a 28" bar on it no problem. The 562 seems to have the power-to-weight advantage though and has all the nice upgraded magnesium/aluminum bits.

Curious to hear what you guys think?

Reactions: Todd67
Your comparing two different classes of saws. The 365 is comparable to the Stihl ms391 which is a farm and ranch saw. The 562 is comparable to the Stihl 362cm. I have the 562xp and the Stihl 362cm. Between the two all I would suggest is what dealer support you have close. They are within a few dollars of each other and the specs are almost identical. The Husky is smoother and faster running and I believe the Stihl is more durable with two piston rings vs huskys one. I couldn’t decide which one I liked more so I bought both and was on the couch for a week. I run 18” bars normally on both. My 441 and 461 are for the bigger bars, 24” and 32” respectively, both have been opened up.

If you look at pro saws the Husky and Stihl prices have almost evened out in the last two years. You mentioned the 372 from Husky and I’m not a huge fan of the weight vs the power difference for just a few CCs and not a whole bunch more power. It’s a nice saw, just heavy for the power.

If your in no hurry I’d wait for the Stihl 462 andbthe Husky 576 to be released and compare them. Both have excellent reviews from testing.

Thanks Medic, Didn't know about the piston ring difference between the Stihl and the Husky. I have great dealer support where I am for either of them. Dolmar is the only one I don't think I have a lot of dealer support for. I looked at the 461 and 441, a guy i know has both. and they in that $1K territory, which is too much. The 576 looks great, but thats another $100+ over the 562. I figured the advantage of the 365 was the ability to comfortably run a 24 bar likely a 28" bar if and when I do the conversion to make it into a 372.

the 562xp I hear is just an all around great saw. The only real thing that is nagging me and I know this is stupid... is that its a 60cc saw, and the budget friendly Echo 590 sits in that category (obviously much lower hp though)

Thanks Medic, Didn't know about the piston ring difference between the Stihl and the Husky. I have great dealer support where I am for either of them. Dolmar is the only one I don't think I have a lot of dealer support for. I looked at the 461 and 441, a guy i know has both. and they in that $1K territory, which is too much. The 576 looks great, but thats another $100+ over the 562. I figured the advantage of the 365 was the ability to comfortably run a 24 bar likely a 28" bar if and when I do the conversion to make it into a 372.

the 562xp I hear is just an all around great saw. The only real thing that is nagging me and I know this is stupid... is that its a 60cc saw, and the budget friendly Echo 590 sits in that category (obviously much lower hp though)

I bought my 441, 461, and 066 used over the years. For saws that we use for firewood cutting occasionally you can find great deals on the Facebook marketplace and craigslist.

A 60cc pro saw is a perfect firewood saw. It will have more power than most 70cc farm and ranch saws and is better built.

Reactions: Todd67 and Lone_Gun
Maybe my dealer will have a demo day where i can play with both of them. Around here. Nothing good used in my area.

I bought a 562XP with a 20" bar in 2012. Since then I have added a 28" bar for cutting down big maple and ash trees. My saw is 100% OEM unmodified, and the only maintenance I do is change the spark plug and air filter when needed. I run full chisel chains. The saw is a 3/8 pitch & .058ga. I have cut down & cut up no less than 30 full cord of wood with my 562XP since 2012. The Auto-Tune seems to work flawlessly because the saw has never missed a beat, not even when using the 28" bar.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 562 if I ever needed to replace my current saw. I don't have any other saw to compare it to, but I absolutely love my 562XP!

I bought a 562XP with a 20" bar in 2012. Since then I have added a 28" bar for cutting down big maple and ash trees. My saw is 100% OEM unmodified, and the only maintenance I do is change the spark plug and air filter when needed. I run full chisel chains. The saw is a 3/8 pitch & .058ga. I have cut down & cut up no less than 30 full cord of wood with my 562XP since 2012. The Auto-Tune seems to work flawlessly because the saw has never missed a beat, not even when using the 28" bar.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 562 if I ever needed to replace my current saw. I don't have any other saw to compare it to, but I absolutely love my 562XP!

This is strong praise for a saw that I'm heavily considering. Thanks for your feedback. Your situation is exactly what I envision I'll be doing in the future.

Your 40cc saw likely is running 3/8LP (low profile) chain. A jump to a quality ~60cc saw wearing regular 3/8 pitch chain should knock your socks off.

You are 100% correct sir. Its a LP chain (wah wah wah!!!) I am going to my dealer today to go take a look and get my hands on em... Also some guy on craigslist has a used 372xp x-torque for sale with a 20" bar on it for $450... It might be worth looking at, pending he responds to me in a timely manner. Either way, I need to get to my dealer to get a part for my Echo.

Hi actually the 365 isn't like the Stihl 391.
The 365 is a pro class saw that is able to be upgraded to the 372 with a piston and cylinder swap.This is a split crankcase saw.It takes a little more than grinding out the transfers.
The Still 391 is a clam shell saw where a piston and cylinder swap means the complete saw has to com apart.A Husky 455 or 460 is a better comparison.
If i was going to by a firewood saw that was a husky a 365 would be one choice.
The 562 is a newer series saw.
You could compare the 365 to a Stihl 044/440

Salecker,

I just read that if its the new Strato engine (new saw 365, you just have to grind out the restrictors on the transfer covers.) If its the old 365 non-strato engine, you need to change the piston and cylinder.

Reactions: mikey517
I would be awful Leary of buying a used 372xp. Some people take great care of their saws, but I've seen some severely abused & neglected saws too. A used saw for $450... you'd be better off buying a new 562xp with a warranty. Just my 2 cents worth...

I asked him a bunch of questions, and he hasn't responded so its not a big deal. Besides, I'm in your camp. I'd rather have a new saw.

It appears my buddy is going to buy a cs-590 tonight. I might wait to try out his 590 and see how it cuts and if it scratches my itch get one. I really wish my dealer would let me take out a 365 too and compare it. Then I would know if I can get by on a 590 or go for the 365 or 562xp​

I've never used a 590. I'd love to do a side by side comparison with the 590 & 562>>

Reactions: TreePointer
I would be awful Leary of buying a used 372xp. Some people take great care of their saws, but I've seen some severely abused & neglected saws too. A used saw for $450... you'd be better off buying a new 562xp with a warranty. Just my 2 cents worth...

Yep. Lots of tree services around here use and abuse that saw (groundies & banging around in a truck bed). Unless I could give it a good look over, including a pressure & vacuum test and at least a look at the piston through the exhaust port, it would be a no go for me.

I remember seeing a Husky 460 saw with an oil leak. Turned out to be a cracked case or something like that. The new part was $350, which was the orange plastic body if I remember correctly. Looked like a perfectly good saw otherwise. It took a repair shop to diagnose where the oil leak was.

Well some interesting news developed last night... My buddy is getting the 590 today I think, and after talking to my dealer, I'm going to buy a new 562XP for a pretty good discount with a 24" bar and full chisel chain.

Sooooo we should be able to provide that 562xp vs cs-590 comparison by this weekend :)

Both will be running full chisel chains the only difference being the cs-590 will be running a 20" bar.

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Todd67
Salecker,

I just read that if its the new Strato engine (new saw 365, you just have to grind out the restrictors on the transfer covers.) If its the old 365 non-strato engine, you need to change the piston and cylinder.
You can get some gains that way i read as well,but the 372 is a bigger displacement

Well some interesting news developed last night... My buddy is getting the 590 today I think, and after talking to my dealer, I'm going to buy a new 562XP for a pretty good discount with a 24" bar and full chisel chain.

Sooooo we should be able to provide that 562xp vs cs-590 comparison by this weekend :)

Both will be running full chisel chains the only difference being the cs-590 will be running a 20" bar.

I like it!
(It would be better with a 20" bar, but that's personal preference for balance and the size wood I normally cut. You know what you need/like better than I.)

You likely already learned this, but make sure to follow the break-in procedure so the AutoTune carb will properly adjust itself. Then it's off to the races....::-)

I actually did not learn anything about the autotune break in. All it says in the manual is that you need to try to limit prolonged high reving during the first 10 hours.

That's how I broke my 562 in, no problems yet, and that was 2012.

Hi actually the 365 isn't like the Stihl 391.
The 365 is a pro class saw that is able to be upgraded to the 372 with a piston and cylinder swap.This is a split crankcase saw.It takes a little more than grinding out the transfers.
The Still 391 is a clam shell saw where a piston and cylinder swap means the complete saw has to com apart.A Husky 455 or 460 is a better comparison.
If i was going to by a firewood saw that was a husky a 365 would be one choice.
The 562 is a newer series saw.
You could compare the 365 to a Stihl 044/440

It is the same weight and size of a 441. Not even in the ballpark of the 441 on power. The 441 struggles with a 32” bar in hard wood. One whole horesepower less is a ton when talking size of bar.

Husqvarna lists the 365 with the “Robust and Powerful” and more than one dealer had told me they are equivalent to Stihls Farm and Ranch line. Plastic bar oilers and lower grade engine parts from the Pro saws.

My MS362cm and 562xp are the same horsepower and are a pound lighter than the 365 and I can stop both dead with a 24” bar in dead ash or hardwood. 20” is their limit on heavy cutting if you bury the bar or you will slow way down. The 441 will handle that 24” all day long and that is the recommended bar on a 5.6hp saw and the 365 is at 4.8hp saw which is a 20” recommendation. I had to replace a clutch on the 362 this year from pushing it too hard. If you want to run a big bar you have to have the power to efficiently run it, I can get a 28” bar for the Dolmar 510 but, it would barely pull the chain around let alone cut. another huge consideration on bar length is the oiling system. To run those big bars you end up with almost two tanks of oil vs a tank of fuel to oil properly with an undersized saw. That’s a good way to burn a bar and chain up in a day of cutting.

To each their own but, I spend the money on quality equipment designed for the job so it will last. I’ve had my fill of trying to make stuff do more than it was intended and having to work on it. I started buying all pro saws and saws sized for what I want it to do and everyone I have will still be used by my 8 y/o when he’s in his 40’s.

BTW that 562xp will smoke that CS 590 hands down, no challenge at all. Just run the saw, don’t rev it to max rpm with no load but, don’t hold off the throttle when cutting. It will take about three tanks of gas and it will really change with the way it runs. When you start it let it sit and idle for a min or two so it can adjust itself to temp, humidity, and the like. If it’s hard to initially start new don’t be discouraged. Do look at YouTube for the hot start procedure, it is very important, especially if you have my temper lol.

Thanks Medic for that last bit. I saw the hot start procedure, and apparently they actually put the hot start procedure on the saw. I didn't visually verify that. So now I'm wondering if i should start with the 20" bar instead of the 24... I just figured this thing should likely do pretty well with the 24" bar. Its only a $20 difference between the 20 and 24" from my dealer.

Cold starting is easy. Most people leave the choke on for too many pulls and flood it.

Put the choke on,
Attempt to start saw until it "burps" Luke it wants to start,
Turn off choke and try to start it again.
Don't keep pulling after it "burps" the first time. It will flood out and you won't have any fun pulling to no avail.