buying first stove...trying to narrow it down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danx87

Oct 30, 2014
New York
Hey everyone,

Been lurking these forums for some advice recently finally decided to make a post.

Trying to supplement heating a 1400 sq foot home, currently heated with oil. Been shopping local stove dealers, but seems like on long island stores focus on 1 primary brand who they use as wholesaler and don't like to sell much variety.

I have been primarily looking at the Avalon AGP, and the Quadrafire ClassicBay1200.

I have heard salesman and brochure's pros and cons on each. I.e Avalon has a auger disc feed system to prevent pellet jam, backfiring ETC. But each dealer never has any information on any other brands, just the one they are trying to push. So i've felt limited on the information I've received.

Im looking out the door $4900 installed on a AGP (including vent kids, hearth bed etc)
and $3900 on the Classic Bay 1200.

These are both sold from different dealers as I cannot find a store that pushes both

Aesthetically I think the AGP is nicer. The CB1200 has a rocketship like appearance. Any thoughts/comments from anyone who owns one or has considered these models in the past?

Save some cash, the eco-65 is 1/2 the price comapred to those stoves and will give you good value for your money,....

What are your goals??...for that money if I was just wanting to supplement my oil furnace I'd be putting in a heat pump..... no maintenance no chimney and it doesn't take up any floor space......or are you looking for a "fireplace"

Hey everyone,

Been lurking these forums for some advice recently finally decided to make a post.

Trying to supplement heating a 1400 sq foot home, currently heated with oil. Been shopping local stove dealers, but seems like on long island stores focus on 1 primary brand who they use as wholesaler and don't like to sell much variety.

I have been primarily looking at the Avalon AGP, and the Quadrafire ClassicBay1200.

I have heard salesman and brochure's pros and cons on each. I.e Avalon has a auger disc feed system to prevent pellet jam, backfiring ETC. But each dealer never has any information on any other brands, just the one they are trying to push. So i've felt limited on the information I've received.

Im looking out the door $4900 installed on a AGP (including vent kids, hearth bed etc)

These are both sold from different dealers as I cannot find a store that pushes both

Aesthetically I think the AGP is nicer. The CB1200 has a rocketship like appearance. Any thoughts/comments from anyone who owns one or has considered these models in the past?
Give captain soot (Jeff) a call , he is located in copague. Jeff is very knowledgeable on all verious stoves & been around or a long time.

Thanks tinman I will give him a call.

My goal is to use less oil and have some nice cozy heat, while also saving money. I have cathedral ceiling in living room and house isnt that well insulated. I will still be using oil for hot water.

Im not thrilled about potentially dropping close to 5k for a stove and install right now, but I am also not trying to buy a home depot/costco grade and have it last me <5 yrs

I believe in you get what you pay for. I just want a solid unit.

Thanks guys

We looked at supplement the oil...found out we don't need the oil. Last year we used less than 1/4 tank and only because of stove problems and didn't get enough pellet. We have a 1,200 sq.ft. Cape. Have gone from a 66 degree oil use to a Tropical 70 plus degree pellet use for less money. We only run the oil to exercise the furnace. Will not buy more oil for at least another year. Order you pellet in the spring and let the oil man sting.

I am on Long Island too. I love my stove. Are you in Nassau or Suffolk? Captain Soots info is on his website http://captainsoot.com. I have never used him, but heard good things.

Save some cash, the eco-65 is 1/2 the price comapred to those stoves and will give you good value for your money,....
Speaking of Eco Stoves, anyone see any reviews on them ? My Harman dealer has taken on that line of stoves ( as well as having several other brands, Enviro St Croix etc.) I'm thinking of a second stove for my basement, don't want to pay Harman pricing again for that particular use which would not be full time).

You might want to venture out and drive a bit to have options to look a various stoves. It's worthwhile and a cheap investment. It will also help in the decision making process. Harmans are good stoves but pricey. Mine has been bullet proof thus far but it is new also. About all I do is put pellets in it and scrape the burn pot once a day. You should be able to eliminate your oil use all together if you get the right pellet stove set up. Or at least the majority of oil use. There are many good stoves out there so do your research so you will be happy with your choice.

Try to visit as many shops or dealers as you can because it will be insightful. Get online and look at the owners manuals for models you are considering. Research them here as well using the search bar. Time and gas money would be well spent IMO to run around and look. You should see them operating etc;

Hey everyone,

Dan
I found Jeff on Craigslist with this whole online store. I had him stop by and we went over what I was looking for. His prices was significantly cheaper than all of the local guys & we are very happy with the install. Good luck with your project.
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.