Buying insert in the next 1yr. How best to game the EPA reg changes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zerotonine

Jun 26, 2019
Minnesota
The timing of my decision to enter the market for a wood-burning insert seems to be advantageous due to the EPA's updated regulations, and could be significant in my approach to such a large purchase.

I have an unused and beautiful fireplace in my Minnesota home. An insert is a no-brainer, to me, and I'd be a fool not to consider saving a lot of money (and/or being upsold) by evaluating EPA-2020-noncompliant models as, if I understand correctly, those models stand to be sold at a discount.

What I'd like to know more about, and hear some opinions on:
  1. I've read of a 1/1/2020 deadline, and a 5/15/2020 deadline - is this the same deadline? (Original date, then revised date) ... or two separate deadlines?
  2. What timing should a prospective buyer be considering, as a result?
  3. The EPA compliant model list is updated/revised every so often, easy enough to monitor. Would this indicate the likely-to-be-discounted models, or do I misunderstand?
  4. What else should I consider?

(Forgive me if this has been discussed already, for my searching and browsing has yielded just one older thread about the subject.)

Last edited:
Just had a company install my pipe and I was chatting with them about the regs (I work in the HVAC industry so we have some similar government just makes things illegal to move money type of stories). He said that, even though a pain in the rear, they won’t have any trouble selling out of the old inventory before a no-sell deadline. He said it would be unlikely that they will have to mark down much

I was at Victorian sales in Fenton Mo on Monday they had several stoves and inserts on clearance. I looked at a Napoleon 1402 I believe the price was $1550

Stoves overall just get better every time the regulations get tighter. While this isn't true for every stove and manufacturer (I'm looking at you, U.S. Stove), the average stove just keeps improving.

Not so long ago we had no EPA rules, and manufacturers had little incentive to implement any kind of a reburn system, even though they had already been invented. Then the EPA forced then to innovate or die, and now we all have cat and tube stoves. We haul and split and stack a lot less wood, and you can buy stoves that can burn for 24 hours plus.

Some of you remember when an overnight "burn" meant either banking the coals and getting out some extra quilts, or packing her full and getting up in the middle of the night to reload, I am sure! Don't miss that!

The new regs include both deadlines. Manufacturers can't ship any existing 2019 models after January 1st. Retailers have until May to sell their existing inventory of 2019 models. As January 1 approaches, it is likely that manufacturers will discount any 2019 models remaining in stock to their dealers, who will presumably pass along those savings to their retail customers. As the May retail deadline approaches, you may well see deep discounts on any 2019 models still in the pipeline.

Reactions: Zerotonine
The new regs include both deadlines. Manufacturers can't ship any existing 2019 models after January 1st. Retailers have until May to sell their existing inventory of 2019 models. As January 1 approaches, it is likely that manufacturers will discount any 2019 models remaining in stock to their dealers, who will presumably pass along those savings to their retail customers. As the May retail deadline approaches, you may well see deep discounts on any 2019 models still in the pipeline.
Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you!
I think I will begin shopping now, and get my finger on the pulse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet that you will see more deals from now to the end of the year than you will after the first...not saying that there wont be some out there, but harder to find...the manufacturers have known that this was coming for 2-3 years now, and they have a strategy in place I'm sure.
Phase one of these regulations took place back on 5/15/2017...at least for wood furnace makers. There were a few deals to be had last minute, but you didn't hear of many. Morel of the story is, if you find a deal, jump on it.