Buying the right log burner - re Morso Owl 3410

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill_gardener

Mar 28, 2006
The lack of information on log burners is immense. How big, how expensive, clean burner or not for smokeless areas. After one year of looking with log burners starting from £100-£3000 where do you begin? Look at them in different shops, feel and see the quality. The main 4 cleanburners started from around £500-£1000 we settled on £1000 - hey how many log burners are you going to buy in a lifetime we thought! After 3 weeks of having our Morso Owl we are thinking of buying a different one (Vermont, Jotul etc.) and growing tomatoes in this one so it can rust more. We went on the internet shopped around and ordered it from a shop in Somerset. It got delivered on a pallet to our door and the guarantee & paperwork inside. We read the small print and the 10 year guarantee only covers the outside casting and if you fit it yourself the guarantee reduces to 3 years. The guy at Morso who sprayed ours the black colour it should be must have had a 48 pack of carlsberg as there are 3 sections of our paint about half inch square that is bare metal now nicely orange with rust. Also within the first 2 weeks the fire brick broke in the top front right hand corner away from the logs. The metal rod that you jab in and out to keep the air supply going, due to bad design, has worn off the paint down to the metal we are waiting for that to turn orange rust the same. A metal plate in the ceiling of the log burner approx. 4 inches by 7 inches, held in by its own weight, if touched by a log collapses into the roof and when cold the next day you can place back in, in our opinion this is due to serious bad design. Now it is only 2 months old most of the paint is off the top of it and is a real eyesore in our living room. Friends of ours have had Jotuls for 15 years and have had less problems than we have had in 15 days. We are now looking for a proper log burner as the back up from Morso UK through the shop in Somerset has been absolutely 100% ZERO. We are so angry with Morso we wish we'd never heard the name. They are making us feel ill!

I couldnt be happier with mine.

That stove is designed to run at a chimney temperature of 300-400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Broken firebricks, how hot are you running the stove?

Metal rod that you jab in and out?
How often are you doing that, its a riddling tool to clean out the ashes and if you are burning properly once a day is more than enough to be futzing around with that.
If you are rubbing a painted metal tool against cast iron wouldnt you think the paint would wear off?

How many sqaure feet are you trying to heat with it?

Sorry to hear your bad experience with the Morso 3410. Sounds like your real issue is with the dealer. My experience has been the opposite of yours... I bought two new Jotuls in fall 2005 and they both had significant functional defects, not just cosmetic issues. I never had such issues with pre-EPA Jotuls. So I bought a Morso 2110 and it has been nothing short of superb.

I am beginning to think he doesnt even own a stove
Why make a statement like that and go away????????????????????????

he posted the same thing on other sites too

berlin said:
he posted the same thing on other sites too

Ahh a true hater............ trolling the internet
Thanks for that

Thank you, Guard Dogs, for sniffing out an imposter, a forum renegade, a cyberspace maverick to be sure.

I sit easier now, but am still wary recalling words from one of my favorites, Richard Bode in First You have to Row a Little Boat:

“...we live in perilous times. Even in my most secure moments, when I lie in bed with loving arms around me, I know this is so. I try to persuade myself that I’m safer than my Stone Age ancestors because my world has a civilized veneer, but the truth is that I’m no more protected in my clapboard house than they were in their cave.
The voice of an ancient forebear rises within me and issues a warning cry. The cougar still lurks on the ledge over my head; the barbarian horde still threatens my town. I put my trust in the electronic appliances of my age; surely they will defend me against the pestilence that rises without warning and spreads like locusts across the land. But once again I know I am allowing myself to be deceived. The only security I know, that I will ever know, lies in me. And so I sit high on the windward deck and tell myself to watch the sail, and beware of the jibe.”

Aye,
Marty

We ARE owners of a Morso Owl 3410 and wanted a log burner for years. In my trade I have all the free logs I could possibly burn and bought this expensive log burner because we didn't want trouble with a cheap one. It was delivered with sections of the paint completely missing and we are not trying to heat the whole house with it, we just wanted to heat the front room with it in our ordinary English house! We highlighted our problem over the internet because we wanted to get Morso's attention and help! Morso UK are situated approximately 7 miles from our house. The response from Morso at the moment is to take the log burner out and refund us in full, leaving us with a hole in the wall and having to pay again to get a new one fitted. We are very sad about the whole affair. We can't praise the shop in Somerset enough where we bought it from. They have been the most professional, polite and helpful wood stove supplier you could possibly wish for.

Demand for wood stoves caught a lot of stove manufactures off guard. Moroso was not the only one expericiencing delivery and production problems. Local dealers complained they too received particially unpainted stoves and that they painted them.
Resulting in stoves delivered or rushed to be delivered, quality control issues occured more frenquently. Including the best manufactures. I suggest if they are willing to refund you, then take the money and look for another manufacturer stove for replacement. About the hole it will be filled up with the next stove for now attach a piece of plywood to block it off till the new stove is installed. I believe Vermont Castings, Jotul, Stoves are sold in the UK you might have better luck with them. Can you go back start a new post and detail your situation. You can also include pictures the other suggestion is converting metric or british pounds to US $$$ as this forum is basiclly USA readership. I think it important the the buying public hear a fair assesment of your dealings and situation

You're not satisfied and they offered to remove it... so what are you waiting for. Take them up on the offer, get away from a manufacturer that you (and I know that most everyone else here praises Morso) believe there are problems with, and take your money elsewhere. That said, I think there's a chance of getting a bum stove no matter which manufacturer you chose. I swear by my Jotul, best thing I've bought for the home in years, but I've heard a complaint or two about them here on Hearthnet. Same with VC (one very loud complaint), or with Quads, Pacific Energy, Lopi, Avalon, etc. Go down to your dealer in Somerset and have them replace the stove with something else. Hey, if they are that great of a dealer, they may even install it for free.
Meanwhile, quit your whining... I don't think you maligning a manufacturer here on Hearthnet is going to get them to jump to your assistance. (unless you can get a posse together like Mo Heat did with VC... but I think they threatened blunt force trauma with logs...)

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.