Buying used Hearthstone Manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ndputnam

Apr 6, 2019
NH
Hello all,
I am looking to replace my old VC defiant and came across a Hearthstone Manchester that was purchased in 2013. It was used only for one winter and has been sitting since. Thing looks brand new. I know the earlier models had some issues with the doors but was curious if these parts can easily be replaced with the updated parts? The price on this is hard to pass up so I would not mind if I had to put a few hundred in it.

Thanks for the help!

It's going back several years, but I thought there was a repair kit for the side door. Contact the local Hearthstone dealer or @thechimneysweep for parts info. @webby3650 also works on Hearthstones.

Last edited:
It's going back several years, but I thought there was a repair kit for the side door.
Yeah, I think so too.
If it's an 8630, they like to run hot, so check to make sure it hasn't been over-fired.

Yeah, I think so too.
If it's an 8630, they like to run hot, so check to make sure it hasn't been over-fired.

Thanks. It does not look like it was ever over fired. Does anyone know when they started making the 8631? Was this recent or did they make a change soon after the stove came out? For $1,100 it is a hard one to pass up.

Thanks. It does not look like it was ever over fired. Does anyone know when they started making the 8631? Was this recent or did they make a change soon after the stove came out? For $1,100 it is a hard one to pass up.
If it checks out ok, I would definitely pick it up for that price.

I think the 8631 is recent, within the last few years. Not sure what changes were made but the EPA max output numbers are lower than for the 8630. They may have tamed down the primary air, since the 8630 had a reputation for liking to run hot.