Buying used insert - Buck 80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cfran88

Jul 11, 2019
Central Ohio
Hi all, new user and couldn't find a related thread by search.

New homeowner, had to get chimney fixed because it was in rough shape. 8inch steel liner being added in addition to redoing the block above the roof. So after all this work, I think it's a waste to use as an open fireplace, trying to sell my husband on an insert. He wants a good view of the fire. I'm open to buying used and he might be onboard if the deal is good.

So here are some pics of a Buck 80 being sold for $400 listed this week. It seems Buck has a good rep. What would you look for/ask and what would automatically make you run? This is the response from the owner gettin my initial inquiry:

"It is in excellent condition and needs no repairs. We are getting too old to operate a wood burning stove....ie, carrying wood, etc. This is the ONLY reason we are selling. It is a direct vent through the top of the stove, directly into the chimney. We have original paperwork and instruction manual. It's over 10 years old and we are the original owners. The trim around the door is plated gold." It's still installed in the fireplace, would need buyer to remove (is that normal to have strangers tinkering in your home or are they so simple that loe risk of damage?)

My opening is about 33x27x23 so it should fit.

Btw, also adding a layout of my home (unfortunately it's a ranch with the worst layout. The X is the fireplace, A,D, E are outdoor spaces, the gaps in the black lines are openings and the orange dots are bedroom doors). Just wanna make sure the Buck 80 won't run me out of the room (hoping a low burn cat would help) but also see how much I could reasonably try to spread the heat.

Thanks!
00Q0Q_dsVSKMegfpt_600x450.jpg 00U0U_lMOU6yWIS9s_600x450.jpg 00k0k_7R5Lp8eV3fq_600x450.jpg 20190711_013322.jpg IMG_8800.JPG IMG_8799.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The liner should be insulated and about 15' high. The stove will need fully seasoned wood to run properly. Do you have a source or wood already split and stacked?

Buck makes decent, tough stoves. The price is good, though it will probably need a new catalyst so add a couple hundred to the price.

Heating the far bedrooms in a ranch home is a challenge with a wood stove. A fan on the floor blowing the hallway air toward the stove will help.

The liner should be insulated and about 15' high. The stove will need fully seasoned wood to run properly. Do you have a source or wood already split and stacked?

Heating the far bedrooms in a ranch home is a challenge with a wood stove. A fan blowing the hallway air toward the stove will help.

Hi, thanks for the response. I guess I should have made clear that I don't expect this to be my main source of heat. Just wondering if I might be able to turn the thermostat down a few notches once we burn on a regular basis. We spend most of our time in the living room or kitchen (connected to the living room) I had a fireplace in the past that I never used because of how inefficient they are and how it makes the room colder (lived in a condo, wasn't allowed to make the needed changes for an insert). But my husband wants to use the fireplace, which is why the repairs are being done with or without an insert.

I do not have wood yet but I am fully aware it needs to be seasoned. Our plan was to buy this year. It's mainly for ambiance so we don't need a ton. I just bought an electric splitter to bust up a lot of cut trees in the back left by previous owner (unfortunately no good indoors but will work for the firepit which we use most weekends). So I hope to stay on my toes and try to get free wood when I can to split and season myself as well.

Any thoughts on the used Buck 80?

The insert looks in decent condition and the price is good if nothing wrong. It will be fine for supplemental heat. Make sure the bypass works properly. As noted, the cat probably will need replacing, especially if it is original. Before installing clean thoroughly including the blower.

The insert looks in decent condition and the price is good if nothing wrong. It will be fine for supplemental heat. Make sure the bypass works properly. As noted, the cat probably will need replacing, especially if it is original. Before installing clean thoroughly including the blower.
Thanks for the info. Sorry I missed parrt of your initial response the first time around.