Cabinet scraper advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I am almost there, but not quite. I have been struggling with these things for, gosh, probably two years.

I have a round carbide from Lie-Nielsen, but no teardrop cross section. Using jojoba oil for lube.

I have a rectangle by Two Cherries with a concave and a convex end that I have been working on, and a full set of L-N scrapers waiting in the wings for when I have my act together.

My set of DMT diamond stones came in this week, 300-600-1200 and 4000 grit. It made all the difference on my 2 cherry trainer scraper. I filed it square, again, ran it over all four stones to hone the edges, pulled off the face with the carbide, then stuck it in a vise and made a hook with the carbide, utter bliss.

I finally got it, I was making tornadoes with the 2 cherry scraper on edge grain poplar, face grain hard maple, edge grain hard maple, end grain poplar, end grain hard maple, just killing it. I felt taller, my previous honing system just wasn't good enough for cabinet scrapers.

So i opened up my L-N collection, thick and thin, rectangle, comma with a point and comma with a rounded point. Out of the six, I picked the thinner stock rectangle. The thick stock rectangle was about the same thickness as my two cherries.

I ran the LN thin rectangle through my new working system, and i am making dust again. WTFBBQ?

It must be getting really cold outside in Alaska...;lol;lol

Check your edge with magnification. I bet you aren't getting the burr when you try to roll it. I bet the spring steels are different hardnesses.

Reactions: osagebow
I conclude @EatenByLimestone is correct.

Working from Leonard Lee's _Complete Guide to Sharpening_ (1995, Tauton), I tried it the "other" way, and it worked great.

On my Two Cherries scraper I will file the edge flat, hone the edge, and then with the burnisher pull off the face out over the edge first, then turn 90 degrees and fold the edge over back towards the face.

What has worked with the L-N scraped (thanks Eaten...) is to file and hone, and then burnish off the edge towards the face only, skipping the one step.

I think both are valid methods, it just depends on the hardness of the scraper steel, and likely the cross section of the burnisher and the strength of the operator also.

My curved ones are still as delivered from the factory, those are intimidating, but I am loving having a set of flats in a holster.

20181028_194207-1.jpg