calculation for wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
Is there a calculation I can use by measuring a tree length width to get roughly how many cords of wood I will get from them?
Thanks

Another way to calculate is to measure the volume of solid wood in the log, then find the number of cords based on the estimated average wood volume of 85 cubic feet of solid wood in a cord of firewood. A cord is 128 cubic feet of stacked splits, but that is only around 85 cubic feet of wood, the rest is air.

The volume of wood in a round log is the cross sectional area (area of the round end) x the length. The area of one end is pi x radius x radius. To be most accurate I'd calculate the area of each end and average the two, then multiply by the length.

It sounds complicated, but really just requires measuring the diameter of each end and the length of the log.

Status
Not open for further replies.