Calling In The Warranty On Woodstock Steel Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did talk to Woodstock and found out this suggestion came from a supplier. One of the Woodstock folks gave it a try and found it works. This is good to know because as rideau found, bathing that long cat of a Progress could be a problem.

The newer cats which are just coming in now are again different and hopefully even better. They also come with their own frame but you will need those two bolts (shipping bolts that held the cat) that came with the stove to bolt this one in. It is very lightweight so this is why you need to bolt it in place.
Didn't realize you had to bolt this one down, good to know. For You Fireview guys this shouldn't be a big deal with the easy access but it's going to be a pain for my top vented Keystone.

I heard that the new frame/cat combo was coming too. I will be curious to hear results and observations when someone tries it out.

One of my issues with the stainless cat with the iron frame was the looseness. I wound up double wrapping the interam gasket.

I heard that the new frame/cat combo was coming too. I will be curious to hear results and observations when someone tries it out.

I know this thread started a long time ago, but does anyone have any feedback on how the new replacement SS cats are working? My ceramic cat is getting tired and it's time for another one. Talked with WS today and they assured me that the new cats are working better. They have ceramic available for the Fireview, but not for my Keystone. Trying to decide if I want to try the SS or buy a ceramic one direct from the manufacturer. Would love to have some feedback from someone that has used the new one for a while.
Brian

I think it's too early to tell how the new cat is working out but it does sound like they made improvements. Either way you go you will have a warranty on the cat.

does anyone have any feedback on how the new replacement SS cats are working? My ceramic cat is getting tired and it's time for another one. Talked with WS today and they assured me that the new cats are working better. They have ceramic available for the Fireview, but not for my Keystone. Trying to decide if I want to try the SS or buy a ceramic one direct from the manufacturer. Would love to have some feedback from someone that has used the new one for a while.
Brian
I bought my 2010 Keystone at the end of the year. It had the cast scoop and ceramic cat. Then they came out with the steel cat and I decided to get one of those, too, and try it. I ran the stove in spring and fall 2011, then stuck the Fireview Jan. 2012. Keystone has been in this year. If I get the (top-of-the-firebox temp) probe up to about 1000, and the flue meter to about 500 and hold for ten minutes or so (thermo lying on the tee take-off, 6" behind the rear-vent flue collar, so this temp would be lower 12" up a top-vent setup,) the original steel cat will get a solid light-off with the stove top meter below 100* if I start with a cold stove. I can light off on a re-load in about fifteen minutes without firing the stove very hard at all. I don't choose to light off that quick every time, but I can if I need to. So I guess if I get the new, improved steel cat I'll be able to light it off after pre-heating the fire box for half a minute with a bic lighter. ;lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.