Can a tree be too dead to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black locust is an interesting example. If cut while healthy, it seems to last for decades. This is especially true if the bark is removed. However, if it becomes diseased or infested with bugs before it dies and is harvested, it doesn't last as long.

There is a saying around these parts..... "a locust post will last a year and a half longer than a stone wall" I took down a stand of dead BL last winter.. it was dead for at least 3 years... I still haven't bucked it all up... but even without "proper" CSS... it lights with a single wooden match laid on it... and still burns like hard coal. I am excited to try it with a year's CSS on it...

To those of you who mentioned seeing sparks while cutting a standing dead tree.... do you think it is just possible that you hit a nail or old piece of fence wire that was embedded in the "petrified" tree??

I can't imagine wood causing sparks from a chain.
:confused:

wood won't, but dirt or as you mentioned the odd nail or piece of fence wire will...

Sparks happen frequently when cutting, but we don't notice them as much in daylight. Cut in low light and you will notice them.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah... I've been guilty of those late-night (after the kids are in bed), "my new ebay saw showed up today, I gotta try it!" syndrome. Amazing how many sparks fly off a saw when cutting in the dark.

Reactions: TreePointer
I don't like doing it, but I've cut a few times in late twilight just to finish a job. It's the same wood I had been cutting earlier, but I didn't notice sparks until low light.

Here are a few pics I took today.

Shes closer to 36 inches across - when I look up at it there are some huge limbs that are just resting against others - I will be shocked the tree guys I have coming will drop it. If they do I’d love to watch the process. The cut log on the ground is of a black locus that I found with no bark on it and it was just resting on another tree - had to be there for years. Moisture meter said the was 9% and its solid like a rock. I want the tree down more than ever...I just keep imaging all that wood and no drying time....it's a dream come true :)

Attachments

• Dead Tree 1.jpg
    Dead Tree 1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Dead Tree.jpg
    Dead Tree.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Dead Tree 2.jpg
    Dead Tree 2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Dead Tree 3.jpg
    Dead Tree 3.jpg