can a wood burning insert be installed in "gutted'' prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood4heat

May 1, 2007
Hello and thankyou to everyone for a great site, i am trying to help out a friend who is trying to install an applacian model 32bw in his majestic prefab. To make a long story shorter he purchased the unit used and realized it would not fit. He then proceeded to remove the guts of the majestic so all that in left the metal framing if this makes sense. He is already purchased a ss chimnel liner kit. His question to me and now mine to you is, is there an insulation that can be installed between the stove and metal framing or can anything else be done or should this project be scrapped? Thank you in advance for any help. P.S. if it is anyhelp i can send pics of what he has right now. Thanks again!

I don't think he's going to be able to reduce his clearances with insulation. He is going to have remove all combustables from within the required clearances area. Maybe he could put metal studs and druarock up? I'm not sure if that would work or not. You'll have to wait until Elk stops by.

Similar delima I was in. Your best bet by far is to completely remove the existing chminey and put in a Class A - Triple wall chimney. This costs a lot of money, but as someone on here says 'better safe than sorry'.

I ended up removing my Majestic fireplace and opening a hole up in the wall about 8 feet up (of my 15-16 foot celing).

The other bonus of this is you can get the stove you really want instead of what will fit. As well, you know it will be safe.

Good luck.

Scrap it - NOW!

The project, I mean.

Unless Appa. makes a zero-clearance kit for the particular insert.....I know they used to make one for another unit they made.

He is pretty much out of luck....should purchase a BIS-type built in unit and install it with new chimney, that is unless he can find one that uses his Majestic pipe (and is approved and listed for this use.)

NO WOOD STOVE

some gas and pellet units you can put into a Prefab after the Firebrick and floor have been remove
but NOT WOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.