Can an HOA restrict fuel wood storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We looked at a 77 acre and a 59 acre plot of land yesterday. The larger of the two had some potential, but getting power there may be a pricey endeavor. We've got a few more we're keeping our eyes on.

We really don't want to move (financially). Staying put makes good money sense. We bought it for a steal and are on track to having the mortgage paid off 15 years early, and the estimated home value has nearly doubled after I put a lot of work into making upgrades/repairs/improvements over the last five years we've been here. If we decide to move onto some land and build a house, we're looking at doubling our current mortgage at least, probably a bit more. We've been trying to find houses with some acreage, but there aren't a lot of options in the area we're looking, and most that are available are either out of our price range or the house just won't fit our needs. We have four kids, so we need some room. Unfortunately most of the houses that sit on a lot of land are quite small.

We're struggling with how much our freedom from the HOA is worth to us right now...

The larger of the two had some potential, but getting power there may be a pricey endeavor.
Go to your utilities website or google puco line extension agreement, I might be less then you figure for residential uses. I know in NJ, we generally give the first 1098ft of line, poles, and xfmr at no cost to a residential customer.

I can comment on the economics but not on the emotions. You signed up for the HOA when you bought the house and get benefits from it. Along with the benefits are tradeoffs. You in theory were an adult when you signed the agreement and shoudl have been aware of the potential downsides. My bet it is will take decades in heating savings to cover the cost to move. Its not just the initial cost, you need to gear up with outdoor power equipment and vehicles to be able to cover the things the HOA does for you.

If the only issue with the HOA is wood then learn to live within the guidelines and do a energy retrofit to reduce your energy usage to reduce you wood usage. Unless your house was designed as a zero energy house, a typical home can cut its energy use by 30% and sometimes far more. By switching to a wood boiler with storage and low temperature emitters you probably can cut your wood usage in half. An energy audit may find alot of opportunities to upgrade. Minisplits make a lot of sense if your temps typically stay over 20 F and even if it dips below on rare occasions a minisplit will still make a major reduction in year round energy costs. Cellular blinds with side seals can really cut down on drafts from windows and radiant loss at night. If the HOA allows solar and your lot is suitable for it, consider putting in solar and use minisplits for cooling and heating with wood used for ambiance.

Consider switching to pellets. Their BTU content is higher than firewood plus you dont need two years of seasoning so you need far less space. The bags look a lot neater. Some have a visible flame to give some of the ambiance of wood stove. They are typically more efficient than a wood stove.

If you do not like the HOA, run for the board, rarely is there a lot of people interested in running for a volunteer position. There is generally a lot of flexibility in how rules are followed and provisions to modify rules. If there are other folks in the development that think as you do you may be able to get majority on the board. Usually on any volunteer board there are only one or two leaders with a bunch of yes men (or women) that follow the leaders. Its probably likely that its just one or two dictators on the board that are causing the problem.

Your community, being manicured lots is your problem. There defiantly watching what your doing, and using the rules to control what your doing. Could they be getting complaints about the wood stove smoke smell? And don't have rules that allow them to stop you from burning a wood stove? Most HOA have the one shed rule with maximum size limits.

I'm in a rural HOA community with minimum 1/2 acre lots. I to have 2 lots on a dead end street. Lots of rules. Particularity with structures, sheds. So I haven't built a wood shed. I can't say there are any rules on wood stacks, and I have a lot of wood.

Do you have a garage? You could probably hide another couple cords there. I put two in my garage every fall, stays dry and its convenient, could always supplement with bio bricks or NEILs.

About 15 years ago a new development went in and it looked interesting, then I read the protective convenants and realized it was just another development that wants to be part of the northern suburb of Boston. In southern Maine we get all the Mass transplants that want to transform our rural, live and let live towns into what they are escaping. Well a local lobsterman built a house there and soon a large portion of his property was stacked with lobster traps. I loved it. I bet there were some yuppies that moved in there that were not happy, but I assume the rest were fine with it.