Can anyone tell me about this ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sbox

Jul 22, 2020
Iowa
So my mom has had this for many years and we don’t have any info about it. We’re really needing to know how much it would run, she bought it in the late 80’s. It’s part of her estate. I’m sorry that it’s not a great picture, but it’s in storage and very hard to get to.
909D073B-D44F-4454-879C-89FF8A4D07FD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of hundred if you find someone who is a BK fanatic,

Yeah not allot of value there.

What is interesting is that your folks had both doors! That glass door was an option and very rare. The solid (no glass) door is laying on top of the stove (left side). If you can find the ceramics and install the two sides (and door if it needs it), it may have more appeal.

If you post a picture of the label on the rear, I can tell you the precise model. Until then...value is pretty hard to i.d. It appears to be pre EPA with that solid door.

I see them sell around here in Walla Walla for about $500. But that is with the ceramics, fans and the KT model. Yours could be a PT and that would drop the price a bit....

Reactions: glenlloyd
looking thru the glass it looks like it hasn't been used just fire brick???????????????

looking thru the glass it looks like it hasn't been used just fire brick???????????????
Was never installed. My mom wanted to make our garage into a den when we were little but it never happened. It was going to go into the den, along with some antiques. This was back in the mid 80’s that it was going to happen.

That door with glass for the BK is awesome..and as stated before rare, especially now.

There should be a tag on the back of that stove, it should say "Blaze King of Iowa" with the address probably in Centralia MO...which seems odd.

Steve

Last edited:
There were 6 Blaze King factories in the USA back then. Parts were made in Walla Walla and trucked to various locations for fabrication. I've seen stoves manufactured in Van Nuys California all they way on the other side of the country. Seems folks hung onto things.....

Reactions: glenlloyd
There were 6 Blaze King factories in the USA back then. Parts were made in Walla Walla and trucked to various locations for fabrication. I've seen stoves manufactured in Van Nuys California all they way on the other side of the country. Seems folks hung onto things.....

I think in certain areas of the country people do hang on to things. Historically, updates to housing due to 'fashion' etc happen more frequently in larger population centers whereas in the rural settings people are less inclined to spend on those things and feel it's less necessary to be swayed by fashion...a fashion that within a year might be done, so the old traditions hang on longer and it's one reason architecture in the rural settings often are untouched for hundreds of years.

I just dragged home a junk BK KTJ-302 that was sitting in the scrap yard, to use as fireplace on the brick patio this fall. While trying to ID the stove I found another online with a decal that said Blaze King of Iowa on the back. I thought it was funny that Blaze King of Iowa would have an address of Missouri...lol. Since the OP was in Iowa I just assumed that it likely came from the same source, or would be labeled the same as the other.

I will say though, that the glass door on that one is pretty fancy compared to the ones I've seen elsewhere. I'd love to have a glass door for the junker I have but can't justify spending much for it given it lives outside! I feel lucky to have gotten it with a door period!

Steve

There's a couple of reasons the door with trapezoidal glass was rare. Most of the fireboxes (models) early on lacked an air wash. So the glass was nearly impossible to keep clean...at any burn rate. So dealers seldom displayed the units with the glass door option, which lowered production demand.

Now for those of you that do not know it, we made a model called the Baby. About 1/2 size of the Princess, the Baby was very successful for small cabin dwellers. We also made a bake oven that sat on top of the three models and the black single wall pipe ran up through the oven. They too were very popular at one time.

So here is a picture of a true, ultra rarity....a Baby glass door. I found this brand new at a dealership in Wyoming 15+ years ago, along with a brand new bake oven, so I did some trading. Both are just sitting here.........kind of cool to look back when...

baby.jpg

There's a couple of reasons the door with trapezoidal glass was rare. Most of the fireboxes (models) early on lacked an air wash. So the glass was nearly impossible to keep clean...at any burn rate. So dealers seldom displayed the units with the glass door option, which lowered production demand.

Now for those of you that do not know it, we made a model called the Baby. About 1/2 size of the Princess, the Baby was very successful for small cabin dwellers. We also made a bake oven that sat on top of the three models and the black single wall pipe ran up through the oven. They too were very popular at one time.

So here is a picture of a true, ultra rarity....a Baby glass door. I found this brand new at a dealership in Wyoming 15+ years ago, along with a brand new bake oven, so I did some trading. Both are just sitting here.........kind of cool to look back when...

View attachment 263295
Recently on FB marketplace there was a fireplace insert FS in menomonee falls WI that had the glass door. If it would have been closer I might have gone after it but alas too far just for a window for the backyard stove. For the $25 the seller was asking for the whole thing someone probably bought it just for the door...I would guess.

I'd be happy to find a used screen for the front, or at least the frame. Seems things like that just get tossed in the trash when the stove gets put out for scrap.

Steve

Recently on FB marketplace there was a fireplace insert FS in menomonee falls WI that had the glass door. If it would have been closer I might have gone after it but alas too far just for a window for the backyard stove. For the $25 the seller was asking for the whole thing someone probably bought it just for the door...I would guess.

I'd be happy to find a used screen for the front, or at least the frame. Seems things like that just get tossed in the trash when the stove gets put out for scrap.

Steve
I just hauled off 2 old ones with screens. I did scrap the ceramics tiles, but he screens went with the stoves....sorry!