Can Class A DuraTech Tee (8DT-STSS) Be Installed Inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yooperkb

Aug 13, 2022
Michigan
Last week our contractor finished installing our Vermont Castings Encore stove. He had a lot of trouble with getting the proper clearance to combustibles, and his solution was to use a DuraTech Tee (8DT-STSS) to connect the stovepipe to the chimney box. I was going to build the heat shield this weekend, but something in my gut told me this installation was wrong. I watched this video from DuraVent and they say that chimney pipe is never to be used inside the house, and I believe the Tee is chimney pipe, not stove pipe. I am trying to find something in writing that says this so I can prove to my contractor that he has to change the installation (or really, get a new contractor who knows what they're doing). Anyone know if this installation is correct, and if not, where can I find the manufacturer saying this type of installation is wrong?

Thank you so much!

**Again, we have not built the wall shield yet, and we obviously will move the plants, art and furniture away before we set up to burn**
IMG_20220918_111101040_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not ok for stovepipe to be used outside of the room walls, but it is ok for chimney pipe to be in the room. However, I would have preferred this installation to have a pair of 45s in an offset than the shiny tee.

If you don't go to 45s (which will draft and clean easier), consider getting some spray paint to make it look better. I don't know the exact type used on the stove pipe, but others will, I hope.

Thanks so much for your responses! I really wanted the two 45s too, but my contractor said it wouldn't work, even though I don't believe him and I agree with you all that two 45s would be the best solution. It's good to know that at least Class A can be installed inside, even though it's definitely not attractive.

An offset with 45s is definitely an option, though perhaps the math didn't work for stove position? What is the distance between the center of the tee and the centerline of the stovepipe?
Are the rest of the chimney system and support box DuraVent products? Maybe call DuraVent tomorrow and ask if it is ok to attach a class A tee to the bottom of the ceiling support box? I haven't seen this done before.

I'm right there with you, begreen! Prior to this posting I emailed DuraVent's techsupport with photos to ask about this installation, and I already have an alert to call them tomorrow at soon as they open. The installation is all DuraVent products.

I would not be ok with that on looks alone, it looks horrible. I hope you didn't pay for it yet