Can gas fireplace logs be cut shorter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Qwerty123

Jul 22, 2020
Roanoke, VA
I purchased a used 24" Ventless Natural Gas set. My firebox is an old Coal Burner that angles, harrowing as it goes in. If I could take an inch off each side of the largest middle log I can set this back further...and I'd like to. Can this be cut and retain it's usefulness? (FYI, I don't know logs but these are very light weight. Brand name DESA.)

The answer is No. That gas log set was tested to be used with the log set that it comes with.
It was NOT tested to be used with modified logs.
See if you can return it & get a correctly sized set.

Reactions: Tech Guru
The answer is No. That gas log set was tested to be used with the log set that it comes with.
It was NOT tested to be used with modified logs.
See if you can return it & get a correctly sized set.

Thank you. Are these types of logs hollow or treated with something special on their exterior.

Don't know about your particular logs. Some are ceramic fiber. Some are a concrete-like material.
If you plan on exchanging them at a hearth shop, take the fireplace dimensions with you, so the
new set is correctly sized.

Reactions: Tech Guru