Can I go wrong with either stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

altabugs

Nov 26, 2007
Altamont, NY
Hey everyone,

I'd like some opinions on Corn and/or dual fuel stoves that we seem to have narrowed down ... I believe we'll buy either
the St. Croix (Lancaster or Auburn Model - Corn Stove), or,
the Magnum Countryside.

Pros & cons, as I see them, follow. Other considerations and opinions are welcome! Also, if there are other corn or dual-fuel stoves out there that you think I should look at (even just to confuse my decision again), then let me know. I looked in the "Rate Your Stove" section of this site and didn't see reviews on any of the Magnum nor St. Croix stoves, at all. Perhaps I missed something? Anyway, thanks in advance.

Magnum Countryside
Pros: Dual Fuel on the go, as is, plus "future Biomass" fuel option. Stir Auger in burn pot, eliminating daily "Clinker" cleanout (and lower overall daily/weekly maintenance). Approx. 56K BTU, max output. Non-proprietary fan & auger motors (common item replacements available inexpensively at Graingers, etc.). . .

Cons: $2700 - $3000 incl. sales tax. Larger unit/larger footprint. OK looking but not as aesthetically pleasing as St. Croix stoves. Shorter warranty (1 year).

St. Croix Lancaster or Auburn
Pros: Nicer looking stove overall, smaller footprint. Superior warranty (2 years). They say it combusts corn more efficiently than other stoves (?). Price: Lancaster can be had, with rebate, for $2200 including sales tax.

Cons: A little less heat ... at 40K max BTU output. Parts may be more "proprietary" and therefore more expensive.

I'm probably not going to go wrong with either stove, but I guess I'm looking for some experiences or other info about either line of stoves ... ease of use, efficiency of operation, lower daily maintenance in operation, other considerations, etc. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.