Can I make pellets out of sawdust that's been used in biodiesel processing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjr27

Apr 29, 2014
CA
I have access to some inexpensive (free) biodiesel resins. I believe they are used to filter trace contaminants in the biodiesel production process. I was told that when the biodiesel process is complete, the "product" will be sawdust, biodiesel, trace soaps and fats. As it's free, I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this type of media? Thanks!

Hmm I think I have run into this product and seem to think that you may have some issues with deposits. I haven kept up with biodiesel processing for a few years but getting rid of the glycerin was an issue and I think the fats you are referring to may be glycerin. My former employer built a system to burn wastes from the Biodiesel process and the waste biodiesel was quite aggressive (i believe acidic) this was from a palm oil process.

Maybe this link may help ?
ftp://ftp.aidea.org/RENEWABLE ENERG...acket/Technical/GLYCERIN BURNING OVERVIEW.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.