Can I put a 6-inch liner inside my 7-inch chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbelowus

May 12, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi everyone! I'm hoping this is a simple question, but I'm a newbie, so maybe it's more complicated than I think:

I decided to rip out my pre-fab zero-clearance fireplace, but I'm keeping the 7-inch chimney in place. Can I just drop a 6-inch flex chimney liner down inside it? I want to connect a Hearthstone Heritage wood stove to it. Follow up question: should I get an insulated liner?

Thanks!

Not 100% sure but, I believe the liners are for going inside masonry chimneys. You would need to rip out the old pipe and use Class A chimney pipe. But I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable guys will know for sure.

The problem is that your current chimney is supported by the fireplace if you remove the fireplace there will be no support for your chimney

Reactions: bholler
It's strange to have a 7" liner in a prefab flue. I've not seen it anyway, typically 8" and up.

Like bholler said, nothing will properly support the pipe once you pull that prefab out. Also, how would you transition from liner to stovepipe? There's no real good way to do this, not one that would be approved anyway. You would be money ahead to pull that pipe, and replace it with class A chimney. You could even use the existing flashing/chasecover with a little time and care. It will never be correct unless you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.