Can I save this tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

therealdbeau

Burning Hunk
Oct 16, 2018
VA
I have a decently large beech tree in my yard that seems to have some kind of wound and I'd like to help it live if possible. Attaching some pics... What do ya think?
IMG_20191109_142832.jpg
IMG_20191109_142815.jpg
IMG_20191109_142821.jpg

Are all three knotholes the same picture except blown up?

They're may be others with better answers, but I'd tar that thing shut. Keeps bugs and other pests out. I'd look into flame killing whatever that is.

The Bark around it almost looks like an outline of the USA....except Florida isn't in the right direction==c

Reactions: kennyp2339
If anything i'd put some tar or roofing patch in the hole to plug it up and keep moisture and critters out, otherwise it looks healthy still.

The Bark around it almost looks like an outline of the USA....except Florida isn't in the right direction==c

Yes it does, plus, below it is the southern half of South America.
I suspect that this tree bark carving was done by the navigator, of the Ponce de Leon expidition in 1519.

Yes beech does scar up quite easily. I would just leave it alone. Tar used to be used years ago on trees but I don't think its recommended any more. The tree has defenses for wounds and will attempt to wall up the injury.

I think that filling things like this with tar, cement, etc., was the old way of thinking.

Current arborist science suggests that you should leave it alone, or perhaps shave some more bark off around the wound, (think, taking a drawknife perpendicular to the trunk, and shave straight down, taking about a half inch off of the high points.). This will stimulate growth, and the tree will heal itself, filling in the hole.

If you put something man-made in it, it won't heal correctly, and if you, or anyone else tries to cut it up and burn it in the future, it will be a huge mess.

The bark is the tree's skin. You wouldn't put foreign matter in an infected wound on your own skin, would you?

Id ignore it. As a kid I watched a guy basically fill the core of a tree with cement. Must suck for unsuspecting tree guy and his saw!!

I think that filling things like this with tar, cement, etc., was the old way of thinking.

Current arborist science suggests that you should leave it alone, or perhaps shave some more bark off around the wound, (think, taking a drawknife perpendicular to the trunk, and shave straight down, taking about a half inch off of the high points.). This will stimulate growth, and the tree will heal itself, filling in the hole.

If you put something man-made in it, it won't heal correctly, and if you, or anyone else tries to cut it up and burn it in the future, it will be a huge mess.

The bark is the tree's skin. You wouldn't put foreign matter in an infected wound on your own skin, would you?

Other than peroxide, and antibiotic ointment, no.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Other than peroxide, and antibiotic ointment, no.
I was more referring to something solid, that wouldn't go away. Which we actually do, with earrings and breast implants... .

I thought someone might make a comment like this, because I probably would have!

I was more referring to something solid, that wouldn't go away. Which we actually do, with earrings and breast implants... .

I thought someone might make a comment like this, because I probably would have!

LOL couldn't resist :)

When I was a kid, we commonly put a kind of tar labeled by Ortho to cover fresh wounds. Now I only prune in the dead of winter. That gives the wound a chance to heal.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Hi. Former arborist here who focused on tree preservation. Looks like an old branch or wound that is healing over nicely. No action needed.

Filling tree wounds is not recommended anymore as it traps moisture and actually promotes quicker decay. The tree will compartmentalize the wound and seal it seal off nicely on its own.

If this is a landscape tree Recommendations for overall health include making sure the trees root collar is not buried ( google it! Most important item of tree care, especially for beeches which are prone to vascular disorders). Water once a week in the absence of rain( a hose set to trickle. overnight will do). Apply a nice ring of mulch(not too deep, 2-3 inches) as wide as you can (Keep that root flare clear). Some compost never hurts. Soil health is particularly important for beeches.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I’m pretty sure it’s beech bark disease. It is a fungus that the tree should fight off in time.