Can I use Koawool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother Bart, Many of the stove manufacturer specs state that when a block off plate is installed to insulate the block off plate with "high temperature fiberglass"VC is one company. As I stated before even commercially available pre made block off plates are insulated with this. We will not change Brents mind and he will not change ours we must agree to disagree. (Brent I still am unable to find the 1200 degree number you keep quoting) . Before I installed my stove I checked with many possible sources of information and I chose the most viable options for my particular installation. I do not believe that because this is what I did everyone should follow suit. I was not willing to install an undersized liner simply to be able to fit an insulation kit in a good masonry lined chimney. I did however see a benefit to insulating the plate especially when the stove was not in use.

Rudyjr said:
Brother Bart, Many of the stove manufacturer specs state that when a block off plate is installed to insulate the block off plate with "high temperature fiberglass"VC is one company. As I stated before even commercially available pre made block off plates are insulated with this. We will not change Brents mind and he will not change ours we must agree to disagree. (Brent I still am unable to find the 1200 degree number you keep quoting) . Before I installed my stove I checked with many possible sources of information and I chose the most viable options for my particular installation. I do not believe that because this is what I did everyone should follow suit. I was not willing to install an undersized liner simply to be able to fit an insulation kit in a good masonry lined chimney. I did however see a benefit to insulating the plate especially when the stove was not in use.

My desire is not to change minds, but to present facts from literature research. The 1200F number appears on the spec sheets for the Roxul products designated for high heat applications (furnaces and boilers and ducts). I have reviewed all the sheets, on the US site, and the following exceptions are noted: Roxul Safe, AFB, Cavityrock, Drainboard do not state a Max temp, the remainder get a 1200F max temp with SturdiRock getting a 1400F rating. Here is a link to one of them - here - click on the Tech data sheet (I couldn't get the link to the PDF to post correctly) - the URL says Canada, I got there thru the US site.

Brotherbart - Yesterday you thought that liner insulation wrap was made of rockwool, today you learned it isn't. 8000 posts or not, we all need to be willing to look at the information presented, and not assume we are above learning. If mineral wool was a suitable product for use around a flue, given that it is much cheaper than Kaowool (which is spec'd for flue temps), wouldn't it make sense for someone to sell it as liner insulating wrap?

Neither of you seem willing to look at the information available, and answer my questions, so that I can see where you think I am wrong. Telling me I'm wrong without showing me where you draw the conclusion from doesn't help.

You can change my mind by showing me the information, and answering my questions. I don't profess to know all there is to know, but I can't learn from being told I'm wrong by folks who won't answer the questions I ask.

I yield. :)

No wonder I couldn't find what you were talking about it is not on the product I said I used. quote:the following exceptions are noted: Roxul Safe, AFB, Cavityrock, Drainboard do not state a Max temp. Roxul Safe is what I stated in post #16 it lists a melting point and a tested to point that is all as I stated.Vermont Castings, Lopi and others state that they would reccomend that you insulate the block off plate with high temperature insulation. According to everyone I have spoken with this falls under high temperature insulation. No one ever said it was suitable for total liner insulation.
I am done with this topic.

kniffin50 said:
I'd like to know if I can use Koawool to make a 'soft block off plate' for my fireplace insert?It has a Selkirk chimmney liner.
Thanks-Rusty

Kaowool would make an outstanding heat shield. 2" of it has an R value in the 90s. Don't run any wiring through it.

I think this was addressed earlier, but wanted to agree- Kaowool is dangerous to handle and breathe. At the very least, you should wear a resperator, and probably disposable overalls if you're handling it extensively. Unlike other materials, silica stays in your lungs for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.