Can snow on roof cause bad draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Had no problem with draft at beginning of the season, everything is clean but I'm now having some back draft issue.
Last year was fine all year but not as much snow as this year.
I probably have between 2-3 feet of snow now on a 9/12 pitch roof and I suspect that in theory it's
like I now have a much higher roof and that is the reason it's causing me the draft problem.

Am i out to lunch or this is probably the root cause of my problem???

Regards

Sounds plausible. @bholler would probably know.

If you had a cat stove, I'd tell you it was time to vacuum it. Does the ECO-65 have any small airways that can clog with fly ash, and which might need to be blown clean?

Certainly could be the issue, is the chimney cap clear of the snow?

Alternatively it could be the intake vent on your house plugging up, mine has a mesh screen the will occasionally plug with frost or snow.

It's certainly possible but I don't find it likely. When was the last time the system was cleaned?

Sounds plausible. @bholler would probably know.

If you had a cat stove, I'd tell you it was time to vacuum it. Does the ECO-65 have any small airways that can clog with fly ash, and which might need to be blown clean?
I'll update my profil, no longer a Drolet, the Drolet was a pellet stove that I have now changed to a wood stove(Sedore). Everything is very clean..

Certainly could be the issue, is the chimney cap clear of the snow?

Alternatively it could be the intake vent on your house plugging up, mine has a mesh screen the will occasionally plug with frost or snow.
Not clear of the tip of the roof in normal condition(no snow) but definitely worst with the added snow. The intake is fine

It sounds like you must have nailed the cause. Any way to knock the snow down, and prove your theory, at least this once? If confirmed, I guess you have a chimney extension project in your future.

It sounds like you must have nailed the cause. Any way to knock the snow down, and prove your theory, at least this once? If confirmed, I guess you have a chimney extension project in your future.
That was the plan for today, clear the roof tip down to the shingles. Got another 10 inches of snow today, so the laneway became the priority.... Darn

That was the plan for today, clear the roof tip down to the shingles. Got another 10 inches of snow today, so the laneway became the priority.... Darn
Is there a screen on the chimney cap? If so, check that for plugging.

Well, if the snow is this deep, then yes, it could be a problem.
Big snow.jpg

Could the snow against the foundation be causing fresh air issues? Try cracking a window before pulling down that wonderful insulation.