Can there be to much draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
I think I have to much draft on my stove. I know when its cold outside you get a stronger draft. Last year I was getting a lot of smoke when I opened the door on my stove so I added one foot of chimney and replace all the black stove pipe with double wall. Now its seems that the smoke and heat are sucked right out the top. I run the stove from 500 to 675. the chimney has a probe thermometers that's is hotter then the stove sometimes or run almost the same temps until I shut down the air suppy. I want to know what everyone thinks if i add a inline pipe damper to slow the draft on real strong draft days . I would only use the damper on times when I was home and in front of the fire so I could watch whats was going on. I burn 100% 2 year old oak Any Ideas what would help would be great Thanks Frank

A inline damper would help if you getting to much draft. Amazing what a extra foot and a change to double wall will do.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Amazing what a extra foot and a change to double wall will do.

That's what she said... ;-)

only inline damper I'm familiar with are the ones that were on stoves 25 years ago. just a baffle in the pipe with a handle sticking out. I'd be afraid the heat and draft would make it turn while I wasn't there and fill my house with smoke.

If I don't use the pipe damper on the F3 downstairs a load of wood is good for about an hour. The draft on that long liner is unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.