Can this be fixed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
Found this crack cleaning my Kent Tile Fire. Cann it be welded, maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 691
Looks a bit thin to be a stove

Reactions: tadmaz
Found this crack cleaning my Kent Tile Fire. Cann it be welded, maybe?

That would be a pretty extensive weld job because it would need to be ground or cut back until solid (bright) metal of sufficient thickness was reached. New plate steel would need to be cut to fit and welded in.

Anything can be repaired, the question is, is it worth repairing. And that would depend upon the condition of the rest of the stove. Probably not worth it.

This is how I fixed it, for now. Thinking about a new or newer stove.

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 482
This is how I fixed it, for now. Thinking about a new or newer stove.

I don't recall ever seeing galvanized steel in a woodstove. I think it has something to do with metal fume fever. As long as your stove drafts properly I imagine you wouldn't be getting enough to matter but it's something to be aware of.

Unless the stove is leaking smoke, nothing should enter the living space. Should be ok as long as you don't go sticking your head near the chimney cap when burning. ;)

thats very sad to hear i had a very good mod for ket fires
They were good stoves for their day. And if in good repair can still do ok but with that amount of damage and the fact that modern stoves just work better I think the right call was made to replace it.