Can you identify a tree based on how it looks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I mapped wetlands through orthoimagery. It’s amazing what you can tell from a photo taken from an airplane before the leaves come out.

Does anyone know what tree this is? It splits very easy woth the maul.
IMG_20230118_160935580.jpg
IMG_20230118_160930023.jpg
IMG-20230116-WA0002~2.jpeg

Reactions: patrickk222
red maple ?

When I was in college in a forestry class our professor was a Michigan grad and told us in his tree identification class there the test was to identify the species (in Latin of course) of a cut block of wood passed around the classroom. Not a fresh cut block either so mostly no odor to help. Now that's tough ID. Luckily he passed around a twigg with leaf for our ID exam.

Someone was giving this away on facebook but they didn't know the tree id. I had to cut most pieces in half since they were over 25in long, then split. Just wondering if it would be ready for next winter (softwood) or the following year.

Could be young sugar maple?

Bark is light and thin like beech, but beech is tough to hand split.
Beech has been easy for me to split with a maul....if I leave the logs sit for a year. Very tough when green.

And beech I've seen is much darker wood. Almost like wet brown/yellowish
The photo is very typical beech where I live. The wood tends to darken in the stacks, even unsplit.

I was leaning towards beech but the dark center reminds me of maple, especially sugar.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I was leaning towards beech but the dark center reminds me of maple, especially sugar.
Sugar maple doesn't have that bark, so red maple would be a better guess.

@hickoryhoarder what part of Indiana are you in? I'm in central and the beech here has similar bark to the picture the wood grain itself looks way different
I'm 45 miles south of Indy. Taking another look, I agree on the bark and the grain. That may not be beech. If not beech I would think red maple.

On the splitting question someone asked, red maple splits real easy, if it's not twisted. Beech is a bear for me if I don't let it sit a year first.

Photos are tricky for me. I think I could ID that particular wood 100% correct in person. For starters, beech would be heavier than maple, and my eyes would see the grain and know which one.

Reactions: Vg3200p
When I was in college in a forestry class our professor was a Michigan grad and told us in his tree identification class there the test was to identify the species (in Latin of course) of a cut block of wood passed around the classroom. Not a fresh cut block either so mostly no odor to help. Now that's tough ID. Luckily he passed around a twigg with leaf for our ID exam.
Reminds me of a joke about loggers in a bar and the one that could ID wood blindfolded by the smell. Not a joke for mixed company.

There are plenty of nature centers, arboretums and old timers to learn about tree ID from. Nothing can beat in person seeing the tree for ID purposes. Go to a log yard and look around, the buyers there are usually willing to talk about logs and they have to know what they are looking at.