Can you smell your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Nov 23, 2005
Connecticut
When your stove gets hotter than normal does it give off an odor? I was once told that it was dust "burning" off. It doesn't smell bad, doesn't burn the eyes or anything like that. I kinda like it. I just wonder what it is. My last stove did the same thing.

Rick

At higher heat levels every stove I have had puts off some odor. I can walk into the house and tell if the stove is burning normally of if somebody has "cranked it up".

By the way, does everybody see the same Google ad in the lower left corner of this thread that I do? Has to do with odor.

OH my, that is hilarious. No, it doesn't smell anything like that!

Rick

Lol. Yep. I see that vaginal odor ad. IT's ok, you are allowed to say it i they can advertise it here. ;)

Yeah I can smell something different when the stove is cranked up higher.

Rick said:
When your stove gets hotter than normal does it give off an odor? I was once told that it was dust "burning" off. It doesn't smell bad, doesn't burn the eyes or anything like that. I kinda like it. I just wonder what it is. My last stove did the same thing.

Rick

My previous stove was a pre EPA Jotul 602. It was easy to overfire the stove, especially when burning fir. I might not see the thermometer right away, but I knew it was overfiring by the smell. It just smelt hot.

its there again,, are they selling?
yes i can smell my wood stove when its running hot

Smells like hot steel. The stove, I mean.

I've noticed that the google ads are usually keyed to certain words in the post. The wonders of internet marketing. I hope that for Craig's benefit these google ads help defray the costs of the software and bandwidth required to run the forum. I'm cool with that considering that some forum's are subject to much more intrusive and aggravating marketing techniques like pop-ups, etc.

Just don't anybody post anything about getting a "larger unit".

Oooops. Just did. :red:

Willhound ;-P

I smelled something with my new Heritage, but I figured that was the oils still burning off from the stove being new. I am however very impressed with how clean these puppies burn. While I was outside handing Christmas lights, I could neither see nor smell smoke coming out of my chimney. Then the next morning when my stove was cooled down, the room didn't stink of burned wood. I'm liking these newer stove a lot.

BrotherBart said:
At higher heat levels every stove I have had puts off some odor. I can walk into the house and tell if the stove is burning normally of if somebody has "cranked it up".

By the way, does everybody see the same Google ad in the lower left corner of this thread that I do? Has to do with odor.

Ha Ha....that's funny!

Now we just need the ads for male odors so we can be equal opportunity offenders...
And, of course those of you who clicked on the ad helped me make some money!

Now every time my stove gets real hot I think of... Oh never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.