Can't get a hot fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are you able to get a close look at the gerbil wheel to see that the vanes are not filled with crud or any other buildup?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Fred, good call! I didn't even give a thought to it but your absolutely right. I forgot about the fact that the fan blades were notorious for getting all covered with dust. The dust will cause it to not move much air. Beejee, I was trying to diagnose the issue of lack of air or dripping wood. If you open the bottom door and it takes off then it's a lack of air issue. So take a compressed air nozzle and blow off the fan fins.

Sometimes a blast of air won't do it. First thought is that ash dust coats the vanes but with an OWB it could be coated with dust from plant matter that turns into cement when drawn in with damp air.
I've run into this in another application.
Hardens in the V shape of the vane and effectively changes the shape of the vane .

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Crazy thought - any chance the vanes are directional and mounted backward? Or the fan wired wrong and running backward?

Squirrel cage was freshly cleaned before I started the OWB this year.. I actually had taken it apart and scraped the fins clean w a screw driver.. I'm trying to get that pic of in full and what the fire looks like but it's at temp at the moment..

First one was when I was loading w fan on... second is after loaded and running for two hours and fan on... third is fan on w door open but only open for like 5 seconds

Attachments

• IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 139
All the evidence narrowed the cause down to either a wood problem or an air problem then comes the bombshell. Beegee says "when I open the door it flairs up. Brings us to one problem. Not enough air!. Is the squirrel cage spinning on the shaft? Turning the right direction? Plugged internally.
Keep looking in this location.

The logs appear to be charred like at some point it is getting a good fire w the door shut maybe I just caught it at the beginning of the fan.. idk.. it's only the second night since removing grates

You'll know better tomorrow.

Hmm. You must have missed it when I said that you need to let the ashes build up under the grates to keep the coals close to the wood. I wouldn't remove the grates. No way for the air to flow under the wood load anymore. You just have an air problem I believe. Pull off the fan and inspect it and make sure the damper door is opening when the fan turns on. Can you post some pics of the fan running? Clear any blockages from the tube.

Sorry hondaracer.. conflicting ideas.. a couple ppl suggested it... and I guess I should be more descriptive.. I only removed the center grates thinking that would get me closer to the coals and do exactly like ur describing still allowing air to get under...

I wonder if you could prove anything with an amperage reading on the fan? Most fans show the FLA rating on them, take a reading on this one when installed, and also when removed blowing free air, then compare.
The lower the amperage the less air its moving...

Unfortunately I'm in for the night.. sorry.. have newborn twins and am on dad duty.. I'll take some pics of the fan tomorrow and even measure amps for ya

I'm right there with ya...mamas sleeping while I take the end of second shift with the kiddos...baby girl just ate and is sleeping now so I think its time to go chuck some wood in the furnace and head to bed...:cool:
Congrats on the twins BTW...I can't imagine...;lol

Reactions: Beegee0131
I recall a paper I read that stated: Coal fires want the air beneath the fire and wood fires should have the air directed at the base of the fire.

I recall a paper I read that stated: Coal fires want the air beneath the fire and wood fires should have the air directed at the base of the fire.
Wood burns pretty darn well with air under fire too...just doesn't last too long...poof, gone!
But, if you have to burn wet wood, air under fire is the best way to make some BTUs outta it...

Last edited:
I come home from work today to a great fire and to lots of wood left in the box...the house is warm and the temps outside is 18 w a real feel of 5.. I'd say it's doing very well today and no need to trouble shoot.

Great! Maybe you won’t have anymore trouble. I will add that if you are new to this heater like lots of things in life there will be a small learning curve. Like how much wood it likes to be fed at a Time is very much dependent on the temperature, ect. ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It sounds like you got it figured out. I noticed with mine it does not like the ashes removed very often. I just watch the back draft door clean out to make sure air can get through. I take a stick and push them back. With the pre epa Hardy system wood is rarely your problem if ever.

Reactions: StihlKicking