Cant Hooks, Log Rolling, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason you could not use a peavey as a cant hook? I have a great one that I got as a present and haven't used yet. But I cannot return it to swap it.

Spikem said:
Is there any reason you could not use a peavey as a cant hook? I have a great one that I got as a present and haven't used yet. But I cannot return it to swap it.

Spikem, yes you certainly use a peavy as a cant hook. It just doesn't have the toe to bite into the log. If that is what you have, then that is what you will use!

On the pulp hooks. Are you guys aware you can also use hay hooks for that? You can get them at Tractor Supply pretty cheap. Only difference is they won't have quite as long of a reach but for those using them while splitting, they work just fine.

So my little sis borrows my pickup truck and of course my cant hook was in the cab -

for some reason she took it out and left it next to a shed she was tearing down and then she proceeds to toss it into the dumpster because she though it was trash

loved that tool and i got if for free when i bought my saw

Guess she is buying me a new cant hook

this looks just like the one she tossed

Columbus McKinnon Cant Hook — 4ft

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200317105_200317105?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Logging>Logging Accessories&cm_ite=119050?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=119050

Oh little sis! What have you done? This is terrible to say the least. But I hope you get a new one you really like Steve.

Backwoods Savage said:
Of the two you have on ebay, I'd go with 48" as that is usually all one really needs. I worked for many years with a 3' handle.

One things though; I prefer a good wood handle rather than the steel.
I found one, Dennis! Photos below. It has a 3ft wooden handle.

ansehnlich1 said:
...this morning my wife and I were doin' the yard sale thing and low and behold, layin' there in the grass, was one of these.....

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15810&catID=11507

It was $5

We bought it :)
Cluttermagnet said:
Congratulations- great find!
May the yard sale gods smile on me next. ;-)
Things were going my way this past weekend. I found a Craigslist ad with a "Log Roller" listed along with a bunch of other lawn and garden tools. 5 dollars! Yay! I picked it up on Monday, along with several other items at pretty good prices.

This is the garage sale cant hook. Looks like a timberjack with the stand missing.
There is a welded bracket at the end drilled for a T stand.
Pretty much identical to your yard sale item, ansehnlich1- I also paid 5 dollars.
Looks like there could be some logs too big in diameter for this tool.
I haven't yet figured out what the size range is.
dscf0010b.jpg

This is the timber jack my friend gave me previously. It's kind of a scissor action
tool with two bent pipes with barbs on them. Has a built-in stand of welded angle.
It's also adjustable for different dia. logs with 4 different holes through the smaller tube.
dscf0008b.jpg

Ironically, I think that this is the one I would be able to get the most leverage out of. The wooden handle on the cant hook has a bulge at the hand end. The handle tapers would make it awkward to try to slip a piece of pipe over it for handle extension. But the metal tubing one has the right shape and diameter to slip a helper tube over it for added leverage. Plus you can set it for much bigger diameter logs. That's a foam rubber handle grip on it BTW. Right now it's set for 'size 2' (4 being largest).

Cluttermagnet, that first pic you have there, if that isn't exactly what I bought for $5 I'd have to eat my fiskars!

That's amazing. And mine is missing the t-bar stand too, but has the bracket on there to bolt it in if I ever got one.

I just bucked up about 8 cord 2 weeks ago and I was rollin' some pretty good size logs around.

The cant hook god's are surely smilin' upon us :)

ansehnlich1 said:
Cluttermagnet, that first pic you have there, if that isn't exactly what I bought for $5 I'd have to eat my fiskars!

That's amazing. And mine is missing the t-bar stand too, but has the bracket on there to bolt it in if I ever got one.

That's because the stand is pretty much useless. I took mine off after using it twice with. Good find both of you. I paid about $70 for mine!

I've read this thread and need as definite a suggestion as possible. All I want to do is be able to roll logs around (usually no larger than 12 to 15 inches diameter) from bottom to top so I can finish cutting through them with my chainsaw. A cant hook appears to do this well, where a timberjack may or may not. Then there is the peavey, but I rarely work on floating logs.

I appreciate your help.

In my opinion, the cant hook is probably best. Although ost timber jacks will work just like a cant hook if you remove the jack part. I own a timber jack, but I took the jack off after a month or so and haven't put it back in more than a year now.

I'd go with the Peavey. Made in USA. I talked to them on the phone when I bought my Pickeroon. Very nice, helpful, and friendly people. The shipping was quick and reasonable too. They make high quality stuff.

A peavy does not have a toe on the end to bit into the log whereas a cant hook has the toe. A 30" or 36" cant hook will do all you want done. Good luck.

just wanted to say thanks for the info regarding the Logrite cant hook

i was looking at TSC for a replacement and searched this site and started reading about the Logrite ones

ordered a new Logrite cant hook - sure it was a bit of cash but it was here in two days and it looks like it will last a lifetime

now you guys have me wondering if i need a pickaroon?? not too sure how i would use it - i

I didn't know it was going to cost me $150 when I clicked on this thread.
A cant hook and pulp hook are in my future.

So for just rolling to work an 18 inch diameter log several feet long, cant hook or peavey? The cant hook appears to have the point going towards the swingable hook whereas the peavy has the straight spike. I first thought the short attached stand might be good to lift the log for sawing the chunks off but if one can roll the log up on another piece then why use a stand that will add weight and maybe get in the way?

made a trip to LogRite in Vernon and picked up a 40" cant hook and 30" hookaroon fresh off the assembly line. folks there were really nice and told me about some of the custom stuff they did for cyclists (since i work in a bike shop). their log arch looks awesome and is easy to handle. wish i had a reason to have one!

used the cant today on a big hunk of that stuff i picked up and that thing works. sturdy as heck.

Status
Not open for further replies.